Sunday, March 1, 2009

JUST A THOUGHT FOR THE SABBATH

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SCRIPTURE?

I have alot of favorite scriptures that it makes it difficult to choose. I love all the scriptures, Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, D&C, Ensign.. I always find so much guidance for my life in them. I am so grateful for them. Last night I went to bed a little fearful, considering the dream Bill and I had and some of the things I had heard on News programs last night about the economy. As I was pondering on these things I felt a great need and desire to pull my family close and protect them in anyway I could. The scripture that came to my mind and does on many occasions was Ether 2:16. During a very difficult time in my life this scripture was a great comfort to me.

24.For behold ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth.

25. And behold I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds , which have gone forth and the floods which shall come. Therefore what will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have light when ye are swallowed up in the depths of the sea?"

I felt the Lord was asking me the question of what it is that I wanted from him while I crossed this great deep. I knew there was no way around it and I had to just go through it. My answer was the same as the Brother of Jared. I wanted light , I wanted my testimony to remain intact. I wanted light when all seemed dark.

I prayed for mercy for not acting upon the warning I had been given and helping my family prepare for what lay ahead. I felt impressed that they greatest way I can help them is by preparing myself spiritually, attending the Temple often, reading the scriptures. getting out of debt and doing those things the prophets have taught us over and over again. I need to not be so complacent about things. I have let almost 5 months slip by and not doing what I need to be doing. But I also felt impressed all of these trials may not be temporal, it may be just as Patty put it choosing good over evil which is becoming more difficult because our freedom to speak the truth about things morally is slowly disappearing. So I am hoping I can be more dilligent in teaching and leading my kids in hanging on to the iron rod. Study and read the words of Christ, you will find guidance and direction amid all the choas and troubles during this time.

4 comments:

kelley said...

I taught Relief Society today, I used the text from a talk that Sister Beck gave on providing relief. She mentioned many of these same things. It was given at a woman's conference at BYU and there was no transcript available. I transcribed it, so I can send I'll send it you in an email tommorrow

kelley said...

yeah, you can figure out what I meant!

cad said...

That was some real perninent scripture for our times. I found great counsel in that for me and my family, as well. I do think we are in a time that we must choose good over evil. And yes, when we stand up to defend what is moral and good, the waves of the moral corruption may swallow us up, and it may seem like we stand alone in the face it it. Our testimonies really do need to be built upon the "rock". I think that time is here. We can't be on shaky ground right now. If it is not strong enough we may be swallowed up in the depths of the sea. I love the scriptures so much. They provide spiritual guidance and comfort to survive these last days. Thanks for sharing that with me Leslie. Kelley, I would like you to send me a copy as well. I am here in Price so I can get it from you.

Rachel said...

Leslie, I admire the way you love the scriptures and know how to use them in your life to help you. I haven't gotten that far in the scriptures yet in my life to be able to open them up and find comfort. I know its my fault I should study them more. I have this fault that I think I can do everything on my own! I should turn to the scriptures more. I have also had this huge desire to get out of debt. I am actually on a budget now. If I follow it for the rest of this year, we will get enough debt paid down that Cody will be able to quit working two jobs and hopefully I will be able to quit working and stay home with my boys. Thanks for your words tonight. They were very comforting to read just before I go to bed for the night:)