Monday, March 23, 2009

The Mountain of the Lord

Saturday and Sunday were very nice days. As you know we went to the Jordan River Temple to do the baptisms for family names. It was a very nice day. We had 39 names. Tommy and Rye did the boys and Terry and Suzie did the girls. It was Suzie's first time to do baptism's. She was so sweet. The spirit was very strong and we know some of our ancestors were there. Jimmy and Andrew did the baptizing and Steven and Bill did the confirmations. It was a nice day.

Sunday at church the opening Hymn was "The Day Dawn Is Breaking", I thought how fitting for what we experienced yesterday.

1. The day dawn is breaking, the world is awaking,
The clouds of night's darkness are fleeing away.
The world-wide commotion,from ocean to ocean,
Now heralds the time of the beautiful day.

2. In many a temple the Saints will assemble
and labor as saviors of dear ones away .
Then happy reunion and sweetest communion
We'll have with our friends in the beautiful day.

Then we attended the Draper Temple dedication on Sunday afternoon. It was really nice and the talks were very good. I love participating in the "Hosanna shout". Although I can hardly speak the words for fear I will bust out in sobs. I truly want to be found on the Lord's side as a true believer. The "Hosanna shout" has always burned deep with in me that at this time of waving the white hankie we are saying we are true believers and want to be found on the Lord's side. I am grateful for these opportunities to grow and receive inspiration and revelation. I don't think I have ever be able to sing along with the "Spirit Of God", The spirit is so strong at the time this song is sung. Hopefully we will keep ourselves clean and worthy so the temples will always be the temple of our God. I thought it was interesting when one of th speakers talked about the first cleansing of the Temple and Jesus said it was his "Fathers House", the next cleansing he said,"My House", then the last he said, "Your House". We don't need to be perfect to enter the temple, but we need to enter with a clean and pure heart that it may always be the "House of God".

3. Still let us be doing, our lessons reviewing,
Which God has revealed for our walk in his way;
And then, wondrous story the Lord in his glory
will come in his pow'r in the beautiful day.

4. Then pure and supernal, our friendship eternal,
With Jesus we'll live, and his counsels obey
Until every nation will join in salvation
and worship the Lord of the beautiful day.

Beautiful day of peace and rest, Bright be thy dawn from east to west. Hail to thine earliest welcome ray, Beautiful, bright, millennial day.

I feel so refreshed and renewed from this weekend. The things in the world can become heavy and burdensome but attending the temple helps me feel light and more power to resist the tools and stumbling blocks of Satan. As it says in the scripture we need to "Flee to the Mountain of the Lord".

6 comments:

cad said...

I think to feel of our ancestor's presence during the baptisms would have been such a wonderful experience. I am looking forward to performing initiatories and endowments.

I also went to the Draper Temple dedication with Kelsey and Makaela. It was truly a remarkable experience. We are so blessed to live in the last dispensation of times and have the House of the Lord to go to. In these last days and tumoultous times, we must stand in holy places. I love the talks that were given and came right home to read sections 87 & 88 in the D&C. Joseph Smith was truly a true prophet and recieved revelations that are pertinent to our times.

Participating in the Hosanna Shout is a very humbling experience. I, too, feel like I am saying to the Lord, that I am on His side!

The "Spirit of God" hymn is so strong in my heart. I think I have mentioned this before, but when Shaniel was baptized, she chose that song to sing, because it was her favorite song. When we sang it, I knew without a doubt, that there were more than just us mortals singing. I heard many, many voices... angels and family members beyond the veil that were there in attendance, as well. It was a huge chior. There were many people rejoicing in her choice to be baptized. I will never forget that day. It was a very spiritual experience. It chokes me up everytime I try and sing it, too.

kelley said...

beautiful, thanks for sharing your experience and your insights

Ellen said...

I am so grateful to you, Leslie for allowing me to go with you to do the ordinances for those people that meant so much to your Dad. I know it is so difficult to have to carry me and all my excess baggage, but,oh it meant so much to me, too. I was thrilled when they allowed me to go into the confirmations. I felt the Spirit so strongly when Steven started confirming those them. The names were so familier to me because I had helped and been along with your Dad as he followed each name and information on them we could find. We had been in places where they lived and knew their stories. In fact we had met a few of them. As I heard each of those names I was so familiar with, it really touched my heart. I know Dad is so pleased and I'm sure he had a hand in helping them be found. A sincere THANKS to you, Bill and Leslie for fulfilling Dad's wishes and following through. I'm sure there is much rejoicing among them.
All my Love
Mom

Heidi said...

Very enjoyable post. The Day Dawn is Breaking is actually one of my very favorite hymns. It's message is so powerful. It made me think of something that I learned a few years ago. For most of my life I have looked to the Lord's second coming with fear. But one year I decided to read the Doctrine and Covenants, I found that as I read it's message about the 2nd comming I found a peace and a longing for the time when Christ will return and the peace that will reign when he comes. It made me realize just how powerful satan has become, that he could persuade nearly everyone of God's children to fear the return of their savior. Thanks for the post, it was an uplifting moment in my day!

Nat said...

We weren't able to go to the temple this weekend, or to the temple dedication. We didn't have babysitters! Oh well. Thanks for sharing your weekend with us!

Leslie said...

I loved your comment Heidi. I think to many people view our Saviors return as a fearful time. But like you said, I have found the same thing all through the scriptures and believe it will be a wonderful joyous time.