Thursday, February 12, 2009
Song of the Heart
Today as I was reading my scriptures this one really stood out to me---- "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart: yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer, unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads." It got me thinking about the wonderful way music has affected my life. Just as it has helped Jamie with an answer to a prayer it has helped me.My music ability is non existant, other than I really appreciate those who have musical talent. I guess my love of music started at home. I remember waking up almost every morning to mom singing, "Did you think to Pray", I now appreciate that simple reminder every morning to pray and the way it helped me to remember my prayers every morning. I can't express the love I had for Dad and his wonderful scratchy , deep tone. (To this day I love the scratchy , rough voice( such as Bruce Springstien, and others), dad would make up silly songs about us as we drove along the dirt roads in the Mountains. How I loved these drives. He also was good at the little folk songs. A favorite was" Mares eat oats and does eat oats and Little Lambs Eat Ivy." I started thinking of all the times I felt a direct correlation of the song in my heart and answers to prayers. So these are some of them--------When I was little and terrified--- I am a Child of God was sung over and over in my mind(comfort and peace entered as I sang)driving in the mountains with the family-----I love the Mountains, I love the Rolling hills(answer to prayer---deep gratitude for Gods creations)Finding a dime on the road walking home from school and deciding the first thing I would do is pay tithing(The spirit strongly testified I was doing the right thing, I think my first real experience recognizing the Holy Ghost) The song I sang all the way home, because I felt so good---I'm on top of the world, Looking down on creation----In times of deep despair and doubt----Heavenly Father are you really there?( my prayers were answered and yes I know he is there.)A difficult time of Infertility for ten years and two miscarriages----Where Can I Turn for Peace, Where is my Solace, When other sources seize to make me whole? He answers priavately, Reaches my reaching in my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend. Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching constant he is and kind, love with out end.( answer to prayer , peace during the most difficult time of my life, and eventully two more children)Anger and hurt from another----The one about the mote in your brothers eye but the beam in yours. I can't remember the hymn. But I felt a loving chastisement from Heavenly Father and knew I was wrong in my actions.working in the garden---Put your shoulder to the Wheel(encouragement)When Kids are fighting---Let Us All Speak Kind Words to Each Other. It always changed the mindset and made them stop and think.( Thus some peace was found and contention dispelled)Music has touched my life in so many ways and I know the times the song in my heart was really a prayer of pleading or deep gratitude. How grateful I am for the answers that came at these times. How grateful I am for music and the effect it has in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love all those song you mentioned. I do the same thing, when something is going on around me, I will hum a song from the hymn book to myself and it really seems to helpout the situation!
I loved your post, I am also tone deaf but love songs of all kinds especially hymns. They have touched my life in so many ways--similar to yours. One of Annie's professors at Weber said she had never had a student that knew so many folk songs. So all of my out of tune singing with my kids came in handy for something--Annie has a song for everything.
I made a public blog page that links to my private page (like Mallory and Patricia) so that my updates will show in your blog roll. Just add this new address http://jfamilyintro.blogspot.com/ and remove the old one in your blog roll.
This post was so wonderful! It made me think about music in my own life. I feel exactly the same way... it is answers to prayers, comfort, gladness, gratitude, and so much more. I am a hummer. I hum all day long. My favorite song I always sang to Audrey when she was a baby was "You are my Sunshine" because she brought so much sunshine in my life at the very darkest time of my life (that's when Greg left us). I still sing that song to her. The Spirit of God is also a very powerful song for me. When Shaniel got baptized, it was right after Greg's excummunication, and of course, our world was upside down at that time. Her favorite song was The Spirit of God, and when we sang that at her baptism, I litteraly heard concourses of angles singing with us. It was a very spiritual moment for me, to have so many angles attend my little girls baptism and rejoice in one soul! And then, dad's song... How Great Thou Art. I can't think of that song without crying. I could go on and on. Thanks for jolting those feelings inside of me. I am so thankful for music. It touches my life every single day. By the way, since dad has passed away, the only music I like to listen to is inspirational. Very little of any thing else. I only want to hear good things in my life. Did it change the music you listen to?
Post a Comment