Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The TABLE


If any of you have visited Mallory's blog she is refinishing a table and some chairs. Well I have a story about this table. I had a hard time giving this table up although it was out in my garage collecting dust and not doing anyone any good.

Back in 1986 when Mallory was a baby Lyle decided to finish his education at Cedar City. So we sold most of our furniture and moved to a little town called Parowan located 15 mile from Cedar. I found a lot of items to replace our furniture at DI. For a kitchen table we were using my Mother-in-laws little scout table. It was put together like a puzzle and was quite small but it did the job. I kept a table cloth on it at all times because it was so rough.

Maxine called me one day and said she wanted her table back. We were dirt poor and I knew I couldn't afford to buy even a used one. Eating at the table as a family has always been very important to me so I didn't know how I was going to live without a table.

One day I was attending yard sales. I came across a cool looking old table that I just loved. The lady said she had several houses full of antique furniture and they had decided to sale one of the homes and this table had been in it. It was a least sixty years old. She said her husbands family had it their home since he was a small child and he was over sixty. She wanted 130.00 dollars for it. It was more than I could afford but I had to have it. So I told her if she didn't sale it at the yard sale would she let me buy it later if I came up with the money. She said she would.

I went home and prayed and fasted for a way to buy this table. It wasn't long till the opportunities came along. I sold my vacuum to a neighbor for 30.00. Then the Landlord asked if I would like to paint a couple of apartments for 50.00 each. Exactly the 130.00 I needed for the table. I spent a couple of weeks painting then was able to go get the table.

I decided I would like to say a special prayer to thank Heavenly Father for being aware of our circumstances and providing the means of obtaining the table. As I knelt to pray and started to express gratitude a very strong impression came into my mind that now I should focus my time and energy on spiritual matters such as I did in obtaining the table. I was ashamed and knew I was being chastised. I had been lax in seeking the spiritual things. I hadn't often asked for the spirit to be with me as I studied my scriptures and my prayers were mostly out of habit and duty. This was a defining moment in my life. I felt I have truly put more effort into the spiritual things. I love reading the scriptures and look forward to spending that time every day feasting upon the words of Christ. I have learned to say prayers that the spirit directs me in the things I need to ask for and be grateful for. I feel I learn from the temple when I attend.

I have always been grateful for this experience. It made me aware of the love my Heavenly Father has for me . Enough to chastise me and help me make better decisions in my life. I know temporal things are for only a small moment and I need to focus more on the spiritual things. So that table represented love to me and was a changing moment in my life. So hopefully you will understand why it was so hard to give up. But I know it is in good hands now and I hope it will be a reminder to that small family of Heavenly Father's love for us.

6 comments:

carol daniels said...

You were taught a valuable lesson very early in your life. You were so blessed to be taught by the spirit and to recognize it as such. I wish I were as in-tune as you. I can think of some instances in my life, but your's seem so profound! That was a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it.

Patty said...

What a wonderful experience for you. I know that Heavenly Father andswers all prayers. Maybe we don't get the answer that we want but he never ignores us. I need to get my spiritual needs back as a priority in my life. Your experience has helped me realize this.

Mal said...

Thanks Mom, I was going to ask you to write about the table, I hope you don't mind if I put it on my blog when I refinish it. I will take good care of it, I have always loved it. And with it means so much more because of this story.

kelley said...

you could send that experience to the Ensign. Mallory will have some words to feast upon as she sands the table.

abb said...

LESLIE. WHAT A BLESSING TO THE HEART OF A MOTHER, TO HAVE HER DAUGHTER SO IN TUNE WITH THE SPIRIT! Those are the rewards for being blessed with very spiritual children(and i have 6 of them),my quiver is full.(Psalms 127:3-5)"children are an heritage of the Lord and the fruit of the womb are the reward........happy is the man (woman) whose quiver is full.I also have grandchildren and great-grand children with a special spirit. I see it in so many of them and I am truly a blessed woman. You are so close to the Lord. Please stay that way and I will always be a blessed woman I Love all of you dearly.

abb said...

this response and the one above is from Ellen