Sunday, April 18, 2010

Prayer

Today's lesson in RS was on prayer. As the opening hymn was sung, 'Ere You Left your Room This Morning', My mind and heart flooded with very peaceful , tender feelings. When I lived at home with mom and dad many mornings I woke up to the sound of mom in the kitchen getting breakfast ready. Many mornings as she prepared breakfast the sweet sound of singing would accompany her work. On most occasions I remember it being, 'Ere you left your room this morning did you think to pray?' It was always a good reminder to me to say my morning prayer before I left my room. I don't know if she did this on purpose to help remind us or it was a song she had on her mind to remind her to say her prayer. I have always appreciated this reminder and it put me in a good habit of saying my prayers. I also associate this song with Sunday mornings. On Saturday night we would have a bath and our hair would be rolled in pink sponge rollers. Sometimes in the morning my hair wouldn't be dry all the way. Mom would crack the curtains open in the front room and let the sun stream in. She would have us lay in the warm sun trying to get our hair to dry. Any time I hear this song those sight, sounds and feelings are connected to warmth, peace , love, and calmness. I so much appreciate having those feelings tucked away so deep inside me and I love those moments that recall them.

4 comments:

carol daniels said...

Amen! I remember mom singing that song many a morning. In fact, I would often wake to it. I love her soft, sweet voice. I wonder if she realizes what a powerful teaching tool that was, whether it was on purpose or not. That song also brings warmth and peace to my soul. I don't sing often, but I often find myself humming tunes of songs - especially those I grew up on. Mom sure made an impact on us, didn't she!

I also remember Sunday mornings laying in the sun's warmth underneath the big picture window in the living room, with pink sponge rollers in my hair. That also brings me calm and peaceful feelings.

kelley said...

we must have been raised in the same house with the same mother! in fact I made a sign that said "Did you think to Pray" and hung it above my bedroom door so it would remind me on my way out to back up and pray! Mom shared a powerful testimony today in RS about how prayer helped her after dad's passing. I was glad I got to hear it. She also said the opening prayer--it was very heartfelt and invited the spirit to our meeting. It was a good day at church today.

Ellen said...

In Kelley's Ward Sunday, we also sang "Ere You Left Your Room This Morning Did You Think To Pray? As that sweet message filled my soul.thoughts of home when you kids were small and sitting in the front room in that early morning sunlight, drying your hair
came to mind, Strange or coincidence? That song often comes to my mind.Mostly after I wake up in the morning or whenever.Thanks Leslie for posting it and Carol and Kelley for your comments, Keep them coming because that'sall I have left are my memories and that's what keeps me going. Pres. Monson said "God gave us memoriesso we can have roses in winter". Thank You for your special sweet comments. Love You Mom



































































































































































































































































































































We also sang ERE YOU LEFT YOUR ROOM THIS MORNING, DID YOU THINK TO PRAY? in RS in Kelley's Ward this morning and as the sweet tender message floated into my mind I ,too, thought of those special moments with all of you girls lying in the bright warm morning sunshine and singing the song. I still love the feel of the sunshine. Leslie, I think it was a little of all 3. I still sing in my mind about every morning when I wake. Thank you girls so much for that sweet memory oF home. Ihave so many loving memories of home with my happy children. All six of you. It's what keeps me going, KEEP THEM COMING!

Ellen said...

Leslie I sang the song mostly to remind you to pray, but mostly it was to remind you that Father in Heaven is REAL and is always there for you and it seemed to always come to mind.It tells me to sing to your children, you never know when you are teaching them.
Mom