![]() |
| Day I received my blessing |
Do you know the story of how your grandparents met and fell in love?
I liked that Carol told about her marriages so I decided to join her and tell about my story.
When I was fifteen I received my Patriarchal Blessing. Before I went I was asked to fast and pray about specific things that were a concern in my life. My biggest concern was that I would never get married. I was quite a scrounge and sorta a Tom Boy
![]() |
| Me and my siblings before I bloomed. |
![]() |
| Graduation |
Lyle and Francis Jones rented the downstairs apartment in our home. The first time I saw Lyle, I knew "within my heart" he was the right one. I had not yet met him, but the spirit bore witness to me. I began trying to find situations to be around him. We had a college class together and I would always go in late so I could sit by him. One day I didn't have a car so I was walking to one of my college classes. He asked if I needed a ride and we began our relationship.
I was still dating this other boy. One day he took me in front of a house, stopped, and asked, " if I would like to live here and have two kids" I knew he was asking me to marry him, but I said, "I want to live on a farm and have eight kids." He never asked me out again and I later found out that he had bought the house.
![]() |
| House I lived in when Lyle and I started dating. |
Lyle and I's first date was to a Beach Boys concert in November 1979. We stopped at a friends apartment and had crepes, and he introduced me to his friends. We went to the concert and I enjoyed being with Lyle. We didn't really date much after our first date. We went to a couple of movies and to some of the college activities. I lived upstairs so mostly he would come up and we would watch ballgames together. He went home for Christmas and I knew he was the right one. I missed him so bad that I couldn't enjoy Christmas. The song 'Blue Christmas', constantly ran through my mind. I was so happy when he came back to Price. He brought me a dozen roses and a turquoise ring.
On January 4, 1980 we had been watching a movie at my house. After the movie we were doing some playful wrestling. All of a sudden he said, "How about we get married". I was a little stunned and didn't know what to say so I said, "Shouldn't we pray about it first?"
![]() |
| Engagement photo |
"And you will go to the house of the Lordand there you will be sealed for time and all eternity"
Poem written by my mother shortly before I got married.
TO LESLIE-----
It seems only yesterday
I held you in my arms
so new from your Father above.
For you we had so much love,
And it seemed as if we'd have you forever
and I watched you grow.
It seems only yesterday
You were a young child
So sweet and loving and mild.
Your smile capturing everyone's heart
Right from the very start
and I watched you grow.
It seems only yesterday
You were a lovely young girl,
Making our home come alive
With your sweet charm
Bringing so much teasing and joy to your dad.
And I thought it would last forever,
and I watched you grow.
It seems only yesterday
Your smile captured that someone special's heart
And he has captured yours,
So sweet and tender and loving
and I watched you grow.
Now I'm happy for you in a sad way.
I know this is all part of Heavenly Father's plan
He only lends you to us for such a short while
To help you to prepare for this day
and to grow.
Soon, very soon, you will kneel together
at the alter in the Temple.
And this worthy son will have you forever
and that love will grow.







2 comments:
That is such a sweet and tender story. And just so you know you were always a beauty. I was scared to introduce my dates to you. I lost count of how many boys asked me to fix you up with them. I knew Kerry was for me when I asked him what he thought of you and he said you were a little silly. I'm glad you found Lyle. He is a perfect match for you.
Leslie, your patriarchal blessing turned out to do exactly what it was mean't to do! Guide you. I remember you dating that non-member boy and how much he was in love with you. I am so glad you were patient and followed the inspiration of the Holy Ghost and knew "within your heart" that Lyle was the right one for you. You have a beautiful and faithful family because of your decision. And, I always thought you were a "beauty" too. Still are! Inside and out.
Post a Comment