Monday, February 13, 2017

LOVE & FRIENDSHIP #2

LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP

WHAT HAVE BEEN THE MOST IMPORTANT AND VALUED FRIENDSHIPS IN YOUR LIFE?


 Oh my!   This one might be quite lengthy since I value so many of my friendships.

So many places to start and go with this question.   I will start with my Grandparents.  Great Grandmother Richardson was the grandparent I felt closest  to.  She always made me feel important.   Her home was a very calming safe place.  I learned many things from her.  Faith in God and dedication to the gospel, love of quilts, Iris's and flower gardens are some of the things I treasure.  I remember as a young child someone from our ward called her Grandma Richardson.   I felt so offended that she called her grandma when she was my Grandmother.   I always called her Grandmother.  I don't know if that came from dad.  He always called his mom , Mother.   I rode the bus to school and often times I would get off at the bus stop in front of her house, visit her, then walk home.  Some of my most favorite memories are picking her up for church Sunday morning, she always wore the same blue lace dress.  I loved watching her put on her gloves then she would pick up her clutch.  One time Steven and I had some bum lambs, she wanted to see them but didn't feel she could walk outside so she had us bring them in.

Uncle, Aunts, Cousins

A lot of my fond memories of friendships that have been important to me are my relatives.  Towards the end of June we always had the Richardson Ruin (named ruin because Kelley didn't know how to spell reunion and made a sign that said, Richardson Ruin.  I loved all these people and have such fond feelings toward them.   Aunt Ruth and her feisty, mischievous nature.  Uncle Gordon, always spent time taking the kids for hikes.   He was always so kind to me and I love him very much.  Aunt Nedra, Such a classy kind lady---- her children were some of my favorite cousins.   Teddy always called me Nestle. Tommy was always the show of the reunion, his bantering with dad Catherine and others always brought such fun.  Bobby always made a point to talk to me, even now that we are old.   Uncle Frank and Aunt Harriet were a friendship I treasured, I have friendships with Marilyn, Lois and Donny.  Aunt Pearl, was also one I felt close to.  I loved the time at the Reunions and renewing our friendships.   These people help mold me into the person I am.

On mom's side of the family I also have great memories.  My first thought is Aunt June, oh how I loved this lady.  I loved going to her house, it was always full of so much fun.  We spent a lot of time with Aunt June and her family.  I learned a lot of things from Aunt June and have always appreciated her.     Aunt Vida was ornery but I always liked being around her.   I never spent Much time with Aunt Evie but she was very quiet and very kind.  Mom's sisters were always very supportive of her and helped with all the weddings.  I loved this friendship mom had with her sister's.

MOM & Dad

I have to say my mother has always been a friend to me.   When I think of best friend she always comes to mind.  She was always there for me and helped me in anyway she could.  My dad was also my friend and taught me many valuable lessons I will always treasure in my heart.

Brothers & Sisters

I cannot think about friendship without thinking of my siblings.   We spent a lot of time together,  Dad worked for the Fish and Game, so we spent summers living on the mountain in a trailer while dad worked.   My siblings were my friends.  We had to get a long because we spent so much time together.  Patty has always been caring and takes time to call us to see how we are doing.  When I was 10 she brought me a napkin, autographed by Donny Osmond.  When she left for College, I didn't get to say goodbye to her.   After I found out she had left I ran down Haycock lane crying, hoping I could catch the car.  Billy, has always brought a lot of joy in my life.   I love his sense of humor and his teasing ( I know mom loved it too).  He has always been an example to me and I appreciate the many times he has listened to me and counseled me.  Carol and I didn't seem to spend a lot of time playing together when we were young.  We did spend time playing Barbies and house.  I think we became closer as we stared having kids and starting spending more time together with our young families.   I love the friendship I have with her now.  We have grown spiritually together and I love her testimony and example of bowing the knee and trusting in the Atonement.  It has been a great influence in my life at this time.  Kelley and I spent many hours playing together, and fighting.(we shared a room).  She was my best friend when we were young.  I loved being around her, she was always so creative and full of fun.  I admired the relationships she so easily developed with all the cousins.  After I had Kellen (my first baby)  I could not fit in any of my clothes and we had no money.  She took me down to the store and bought me a pair of pants and a sweater.  I have always been so grateful for this act of kindness.  She was always looking out for me.  During my years of a young wife and mother I would always call Kelley for comfort, advice, and she always took time to listen to me and to help me with my kids.   My kids have always known how much Kelley loves them.  She doesn't have to tell them , they just know.  Steven and I were the tail end of the family so we spent time going with Mom and Dad on trips.  These trips were fun and we got to experience some good times together.  I have always admired Steven's independence and adventure to do things on his own.  He has always been an example to me of dedication and commitment to the gospel.

Neighbors

I have had some wonderful people come into my life since I moved to Blanding.  Most of these people were some of the older people in town.  Ester Shumway, The Macdonalds, The Jones, Blickenstaffs, Evelynn Perkins,  Nancy Martineau, Ruth and Norman Nielson.  I can't express how much I love these people and the influence they have had on my life.

I also have a great group of friends around my age.  Shauna Hurst, Debbie Acton, Carma Mikesell, Susan Flavel, Jacque Moses, Terry Winder,  Angela Hurst and Laurie Simpson.  Laurie lives by me and she has been such a great friend to me.  She is always aware of when I am in need and takes time to make sure how I am.  She listens to me in time of joy and sorrow.  I have been very grateful to her.  She is also a great example of service, along with Susan Flavel.  I love these ladies so much.

Husband and Kids

Of course my most important and valued friendships are with my Husband and Children  Lyle has always been so good to me.  He has worked so hard (many jobs at once) to make sure I could stay home and take care of the kids.  I love him so much for this, because I now treasure the time I had raising kids.  I am so happy I could be there for so much of their lives.  I will always be grateful for this.  When I was in the middle of motherhood I wasn't so sure about being a mother  but my most treasured times and memories are with my kids.  Lyle knows all the good and bad about me and still loves me.  He doesn't hold grudges and always forgive.  He tries hard to make me happy and always lets me know how much he loves me. 

I love my children and the friendships I have with each one of them.  They are all different and require different things from me.  I am happy that they share their lives with me and include me in their families.  They bring so much joy  and happiness to me.  They are who I call now when I am sad, frustrated, happy, or just need to share something with someone.  I value the friendship I have with each of my kids.  They are my greatest joy.

I love and cherish the friendships I have with many people.  It would be an endless list of valuable friendships.

2 comments:

kayerj said...

Amen sister 🙏🏻 I could copy and paste that because you said everything so well. I love you and your family very much and miss those happy days when our children were small. I have always regretted the times I was mean to you when we were young. You did teach me that it was better to be a peacemaker. I truly admired how you could walk away from a fight. You are a sweetheart and a spiritual giant. Thanks for always being there for me and teaching me so much about the gospel.

carol daniels said...

What a beautiful post Leslie. Is it any wonder why Father In Heaven's plan is so perfect! I am sure we formed these friendships in our pre-mortal life and as we go from one estate to another they will continue to grow in love. Isn't it wonderful! I consider my family my best friends, too. I'm writing my post up now but it may take a day or two to finish it.