WHAT WOULD YOU WANT YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO LEARN ABOUT MAKING AND ACHIEVING GOALS FROM YOUR EXAMPLE?
I would want my friends an family to know that my main goal in life, that I believed I prepared for daily, even as a young child, was to be a good mother.
This goal was always on my mind as I snuggled my dolls, my animals, built farms and cities in the dirt with cars and animals, played Barbies, built and decorated doll houses with my sister's and a wonderful mother who helped us in our play. As a young teenager learning new skills such as cooking, sewing, quilting, horse riding, babysitting, all these things helped prepare me for my main goal in my life. Dating and friendships in High School were also a preparation for this goal.
In 1979 I met and married my sweetheart and gladly left everything that I had in my life to begin this new adventure. We were married in the Manti Temple, March 14, 1980. We soon became pregnant, honeymoon baby. with a December 21, 1980 due date.
I always had vision's of what I thought it would be like to be a mother. I had some lofty goals. They were never going to get dirty, be sick , they were always going to be kind , fun and happy. I would read the Book of Mormon to them nightly, starting at birth. My house would always be organized and clean.
I was soon to find out that being a mother was not a piece of cake of would require praying all day long to survive. I soon found out that I didn't know anything and that it becomes necessary to rely on the Holy Ghost for everything. ( Including potty training). Scriptures and prayer became my handbook. I look back on those years of having small children and teenagers and I am grateful and amazed how much the Holy Ghost was a part of my life and the constant guidance I received.
For example. One day Rye (about age 10 at the time) came home with a big beautiful apple. I asked him where he got it and he said from Sister Perkins tree. I asked him, "did she say you could pick it?" He said, "NO, I just picked it." I thought she probably wouldn't care and it was no big deal. The Holy Ghost started working on me and told me it did matter and I needed to take the moment to teach Rye of honesty and respect for others. So I gave in, took him down to Sister Perkins and had him explain that he took an apple with out asking. I had him earn a couple of dollars to pay her for it. Sister Perkins, being a wise women, sensed what was going on , told him he was welcome to have apples if he asked first and took the money. I have had moments all through motherhood like this. I am grateful that the Holy Ghost was always there to teach and guide me.
I wasn't a perfect mother, I have lots of regrets. But I believe I was trying to be the best mother I could be. I am grateful I was in a situation where I could stay home and take care of my kids. I would never feel comfortable trusting their happiness or training with anyone else because I don't believe anyone else can love them like I do.
I continue to try to do things to teach my family the gospel. I try to bring them together and hopefully they will build lasting relationships. I pray that I will never divide them in anyway. That I will always see them as our Father sees them. In the end Motherhood is hard but it is also the most rewarding thing I have done in my life. Nothing brings me more happiness than my family. So this brings me to the last question of this month, WHAT WILL BE THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT OF YOUR LIFE? My greatest achievement will be seeing others as Christ see's them, following the guidance of the Holy Ghost in all things and raising a family that loves each other. Extending to all family. Cousin's, Uncles, Aunts, Grandparents, and our Ancestors.
2 comments:
What a wonderful post Leslie. I can also say my entire growing up years my greatest yearning was to be a mother. All those things you said brought back wonderful remembrances of life at home with mom. Because she loved home and family, and through her example, I believe our desires to be a mother... and a good one at that, start with her. I also love your story and example of teaching Rye to do the right thing. I have always looked up to you for an example of teaching children and all family members gospel principles. Mothers are nurturers and teachers, and you shine like a light in doing so. Your aim on being a good mother and grandmother is right on target.
Amen! Mom taught us well and you can't raise kids without praying for them and yourself. I loved how your post answered the question and caused you to reflect on your life. I answered the 2016 questions and that is what Alisa is using to,put my history together. Looks like there will be more exploring this year. You're off to a great start.
Post a Comment