
I don't know how many of you have read the article by President Uchtdorf in this months Ensign. It is called, 'The Righteous Influence of Women.' I was very inspired by this article.
Talking about women he says, "....big gates move on small hinges."
How many times have you ever thought, "Am I doing any good ? Will my children turn out to be intelligent sane adults?"
It amazes me to see the talents and gifts my children have and to see them bless the lives of their own little families. It gives me hope that I somehow helped my children grow into their divine potential. I don't think I had much influence on them other than providing a safe , secure place for them to grow. For they were divine to begin with and came with all their gifts.
President Uchtdorf also says, "What you sisters do today will determine how the principles of the restored gospel can influence the nations of the world tomorrow. It will determine how these heavenly rays of the gospel will light every land in the future."
Sounds like a big responsibility to me. I hope I am not failing in this duty. I believe our influence doesn't end when the kids leave home. I needed my mother more after I got married and a had a family.
President David O. McKay said, "The principal reason the church was organized is "To make life sweet today, to give contentment to the heart today, to bring salvation today.....
"some of us look forward to a time in the future-salvation and exaltation in the world to come---BUT TODAY IS PART OF ETERNITY."
I feel I was raised in the best home ever. My mother quietly set an example for us all. She honored motherhood to the fullest. She loved, comforted, played, taught. She immersed herself in the gospel, Family History and Temple work was a very important part in her life. She fulfilled Church callings faithfully. I will forever see her as the wheat lady. She used wheat in ways I didn't know were possible. Since I left home to make my own, her home has been a refuge and a comfort. It still feels good to walk through the front doors and greet her and feel instantly at home. Mom didn't do any great acts to be seen by the world but she quietly serve us. How greatful I am for her example not only while I was young but today. I am so impressed at her desire to still serve although she is in great pain and physical things are difficult.
The Prophet Joseph Smith said, "If you live up to your privileges, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates."
I have no doubt that our mother has not been helped and associated with many angels she knows not about. I love and appreciate the influence and example she has been in my life.
Remember, "Today is part of Eternity"
8 comments:
That was such an inspiring post. I also think of mom in the same way. Her home is my safe haven from the storms of life. I love going there and being taught by her great love, guidance and example. She never ceases to amaze me. I am also thankful to have been raised in a home where we were taught the love of the gospel. I am also thankful to have been taught my a mother who showed us by example to love being a mother and to love keeping home. A mother's love and example can influence a home, a community, a nation, and the world. I, like you, hope I have made a difference in my kids lives.
that was a nice post--mom was always a lot of fun.
Leslie, you should write for the ensign. You have such a way of provoking the spirit. Thank you for the uplifting example that you have shown. I am also grateful to my mother and grandmother's for the influence that they have had on my life. And I know that I wouldn't have survied (literally) many things in my life if it hadn't been for my mother. As for my kids, I think that I have had only minimal influence in their lives. If you ask them what they think of me they'll tell you that I'm a mean mom. Take from that what you will.
Thanks again!
I constantly wonder and worry about how my kids will turn out. I haven't read the Ensign this month, but it looks like I better do it soon. Thanks for sharing!
Heidi,
A mean mom means you are doing your job. I can't tell you how many times I was told I am the meanest mom ever.
i forgot to pass along birthday greetings for Lyle when we were on the phone--so Happy Birthday Lyle. Are ya 50 now? or do you still have another year?
Lyle is actually 53. Can you believe it. I didn't do a post because he doesn't like attention on him. It makes him uncomfortable.
Leslie how sweet of you. You always have a way of lifting my spirits. I hope in some small way I have influenced all of you for good. You have a wonderful family. I love them all and am proud of them. I had one of them tell me you are a great woman and a good Mom. Your children "rise up and call you good". Your daughters are lovely and your sons are enjoyable. It is a pleasure to watch them with their little ones. Your success shine in them.
ps You made me cry again. Thanks! I hope my home will always be a sanctuary. Then it was worth keeping it and staying here. Love all of you so deeply
Post a Comment