Saturday, July 16, 2011

Haycock Lane

I had one of the best childhoods ever. I grew up at Route 1 box 102 A Helper, Ut, in a little town called Spring Glen. Many summer days were spent going to the Blue Cut station to buy a five cent Look Bar. Or often times a coke bottle was exchanged for the candy. The Edward Sims family owned the station and store. Sister Sims was always so kind to me.
Haycock Lane was a street that we went up and down many times in my childhood. Many times traveled on bike, foot and horse. How I love that narrow road. It took me home many times.
This is the field that was next to our house. It is full of trees now, when I was young it was a hay field. Many times as a youth I sat at the steering wheel of the old green truck while dad and others loaded hay bales on the trailer coasting behind the truck. I spent many hours running the horses all over the field. We had a small baseball field also in the field where we spent many afternoons playing ball.
Horses! How I loved the horses. My days were spent riding horses, pretending to be a horse, playing with Breyer horses. Everything I played seemed to have a horse involved. One of the things I miss most about my childhood is the association I had with horses. They brought me so much joy.
Many Russion Olive trees were in our field in back of our house. When ever I catch a whiff of the tree in reminds me of home.
Same mailbox that was just down the road. I think the Pillings lived at this address.
We moved from Cedar City, Ut to Spring Glen when I was two years old. Dad built this house using railroad ties. We had a porch swing on the front porch, Summer nights were spent swinging and drink homemade fresh lime drinks. Many wonderful days and nights were spent at this home. Dad planted the willow tree when we were little. It provided many wonderful adventures especially for my sister Kelley. She seemed to have a great attachment to the tree. We would swing on the low branches of the tree. I loved hearing the wind blow through it's leaves.

This field used to be a beautiful orchard of our neighbors and often his sheep were in it. It was such a peaceful place to go and be in. Till the geese would chase you. I still hate geese to this day.Many summer days were spent riding our bikes . One of the favorite things to do was to ride to the top of the lane to Marasco's trucking garages( the big trucks would roll down the road promptly every morning at 4:00 a.m.) I was surprised to see the old gas pump still in place.
This old tree stands at the top of Haycock Lane right by the canal. It used to hold the best rope swing. We spent many hours swinging and jumping in the water. I think the Melo's owned the property.Haycock Lane was my playground as a child. A quiet peaceful place where a kid could wander up and down the road. Many times floating homemade boats down the ditch. The ditch was a favorite place to play also.
This is what we called the mail route. I walked the route many times. One time the Bishop at primary made me upset so I spent a good part of a year walking around the mail route. The School bus would drop us off at the church every Wednesday for Primary. I would get off the bus and begin my walk home the long way around the mailroute. By the time I made it home primary was out. So for quite a while my mom didn't know I was ditching primary. It is quite a pretty area of the mail route.
View by Marasco's fields.
Vea's Hills were a favorite place to go ride the horses. We would saddle up in the morning and take off to the hills. There was a stream that ran across the road and on one occasion the horse I was riding decided to lay down in the middle of the stream. Those lazy hot days on the back of a horse felt so good. I can still smell the smells and feel the movement and the dirt and the heat of the day.

The Browns were our Neighbors across the fields. It was always fun to play with them. I would play usually with Darren and Denise and sometimes Lesley. We had lots of fun adventures together.
They had a houseful of eight kids.
Many hours were spent playing in their barn.
Blue Hill Dairy road seemed to be a road we went on alot. Not sure why other than delivering Milk and sometimes babysitting for families who lived on the hill by the dairy.

Blue Hill Dairy how it looks today. It was always such beautiful little area and always enchanted me.
The old school in Spring Glen. I never attended this school but most of my Brothers and Sisters did. I attended my elementary schooling at Sally Mauro in Helper Ut. When I was in College it was a school for handicap children called Ann Self. I spent many hours working here because I was going in to special Ed. I had many wonderful experiences with the kids in the Ann Self program. One boy I will never forget named Robert who had severe Cerebral Palsey. He looked like the all American boy, dark a hair and beautiful blue eyes.
This is where I attended church , the Spring Glen Chapel. We had primary on Wednesday right after school. Sunday School was in the morning and Sacrament was in the evening at 6:00 p.m. I tried to remember all the Bishops I had but don't know if I got them all. Dulan Rasmussen, Jack Allred and John J. Nielson. I don't remember many of my teachers. I know that I loved the old Sis Blackham. She was my nursery leader.

Just some shots of old buildings and stuff around Spring Glen.

This is tank Hill. This is where as a seven year old I took my first big horse ride alone outside of the fields. I was riding Apache, a brown and white paint. I was with my older sister and a group of her friends. When we were almost to the water tanks Apache decided she wanted to go home and took off running at full speed. When I got by the Rigby's house someone in a car could see I was on a run away horse and pulled in front of Apache to stop her. She jumped right over the car and continued home. She ran right up to dad who was on the front lawn and stopped. Dad said," You're getting to be a good little rider." He didn't know Apache ran away with me.

A common sight along the road in Spring Glen, rows of mailboxes.
This was the Rowley's house. When I was little I thought it was so big and beautiful. Halloween time we had all kinds of scary stories about it. I surprised at how little it actually is.
The Rigby's home, another favorite house around the mail route.
Jack and Hazel Allred's home. We were good friends with them and spent many camping trips with them. They went to Martin's Cove with us the year dad died. Jack found a crack pipe on the ground outside a fast food place in Wyoming. He set it on dad's seat and got quite a kick out of it when dad found it. Dad placed it in the bumper of the motor home and was going to get him back somehow.
We had several ponds down in our fields. One on our property and two on Spatafores. The Spatafores was the favorite one to be on. We would swim and play on the raft all day. I miss the sound of the croaking frogs that were heard all summer.
I wanted a poodle really bad and was trying to raise money to buy a cute apricot poodle puppie that the neighbor had. Pop bottles were worth nickel a piece. I would go around and ask the neighbors if I could have their bottles. I can't remember how much I made. But I got my most favorite dog at this time, his name was Sparky.
The Kubonic's house right at the bottom of the lane.
The train bridge. It was fun to go sit under it while the trains went over.
The Richardson block. Grandma Richardson lived down the lane near the train tracks. We would walk down often and visit with her. We pick her up for church sometimes. She always wore lacy black gloves to church. Aunt Nedra, Teddy Richardson, Uncle Gordon & Aunt Elaine, Shirley Haycock, Pete and Jean Jones all relatives lived on this block.
The canal was a favorite place to play. We would float down on inner tubes with Uncle Val and Aunt Junes kids. It was a great way to spend a summer day.
The bridge we would go under to get to Aunt Evie and Uncle Tom's house. We spent lots of time with mom sisters families. So many great memories that tie me to my cousin's.

5 comments:

kelley said...

Leslie, this was such a fun post. I love all your memories (since we share so many) and the photo's bring it all tumbling back. It is funny though how small and dilapitated everything looks. When I was a kid I didn't see it that way.

carol daniels said...

What a wonderful post, Leslie. It took me back down Memory Lane... Haycock Lane, and around Rural Route 1. I loved our growing up years. I can't think of one bad experience I ever had! I think that says a lot about our parents and upbringing. They let us live as children. They were excellent role models. They provided opportunities and encouraged us to explore and use our imaginations, for which I am very grateful for.

I love the pictures you took and the stories told with each one. We should all share things of our childhood with each other... I will try and do something of the same once a month. It helps trigger my own experiences. Although we all did a lot of the same things, perspective on certain experiences provides variety and color to our family life. And it was a wonderful one!

I didn't know you ditched Primary for almost an entire year! Was it John J. who made you mad?

The Rowley house seemed like it was the nicest, biggest home in town. I always thought it was so big, but in reality, it is very small! Funny how things change when you grow up. I loved the main road at Halloween, too. The large trees in front of Rowley's house dropped their colorful yellow leaves and provided a crunchy, eeiry, feeling as we walked the road from house to house.

Thanks for taking me back to a very wonderful time of life!

Are you still coming up tomorrow evening?

Patty said...

Thanks for bringing all the memories back. The weeping willow tree in front of the house was planted when I was a year old. None of you were even thought of yet........:) That willow tree brings back a lot of memories for me. Swinging on the branches and hoping they wouldn't break, sitting in the wonderful shade. Throwing our sleeping bags on the lawn under it and listening to it talk in the gentle breezes. I can't remember, is that a recent picture of it. I thought the new owners had cut it down. I especially remember the big caterpillars we found on the trunk of that tree.

The horses will always be a treasured memory to me. I loved them, I lived on them. I even delivered my newspapers on Apache, and I would always play a game when I did it. I was the Pony Express most of the time. I hope those days will come back to me someday. I know they won't here in mortality, but I have a very strong feeling that horses will one day be a big part of my eternal life. I will never forget the day I had to say goodbye to my Misty. I had a broken heart. It has never mended. I know she is long gone but everytime I go through Emery Co. and see a paint horse I wonder if Misty's bloodline flows through it.

Like Carol said, everything looks old and littler but through the eyes of children everything looks huge and new. I only went to the Spring Glen school for 1 yr but I can still see the wood hallways, the stairs and the classrooms with all there wood desks. I can still Hear Miss Rowley reading us "Where the Red Fern Grows" and how she couldn't finish it because it made her cry. She handed me the book and had me read the last few pages. I had a hard time getting through them too. I love animals so much.
A gift from Dad that he instilled in us. Animals are almost human to me. They communicate with me.

I will never forget Haycock Lane. It always seemed so long to me , but to visit it now, it seems so short. I will never forget Spring Glen. Sometimes it was hard to live there, but most of the time living there was a pure adventure. Thanks for bringing the memories back.

Leslie said...

The pictures were all taken about a month ago. The willow tree is still standing. The orchard by spatafores was a mess which was dissapointing to me because I loved that orchard. I thought it was so peaceful and pretty.

Kelsey said...

I remember a lot of those places. I lived in Spring Glen a few times. I had to go to the Kubonics after school one day because my mom wasn't home. When I was in 6th grade I played in the Browns barn also. Spring Glen is a fun little town.