I have had a scripture on my mind a lot lately. I knew there was a message for me but it took a while for me to figure it out. Mark 6:48-52, Christ had just performed the miracle of the loaves and fishes. He asked the disciples to get in ship and go to the other side of the sea. The disciples did as he asked. Christ went up to the mont to pray. After he saw the ship in the midst of the sea, He saw them toiling in rowing because the wind was contrary. He walked out to them on the sea. The disciples saw him and were troubled, They did not recognize the Savior. The savior calmed them cheered them and calmed the sea. He then says they considered not the miracle of the loaves because their hearts were hardened.
It amazes me that when you first receive a calling in the church how strong the spirit is and how direct the guidance is. But as time goes on you have to start working harder to have that spirit and guidance. Well I feel like I have been doing as the Lord has asked in both mother of my home and calling of RS President. But I feel as of late that I am toiling. I am trying to do what I have been asked to do but I feel the winds are contrary and I am not getting anywhere. It came to me today why, as I thought about this scripture and read a letter from a missionary nephew. I am relying to much on myself and forgetting that this is our Saviors church that I need to recognize him as the Savior and head of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. Although I have seen many miracles happen in my calling and home do I really know and trust in the Savior.
In my nephews letter he related a story Pres. Hinkley had told the General Authorities. Pres. Hinkley was very overwhelmed as a counselor in the first presidency. The Prophet and the other counseler were both ill and bedridden so the burden of directing the church fell on him. He said as he knelt in prayer the simple words came to him, "The Lord is able". Pres. Hinkley put his complete trust and faith in our Savior and we have seen the many good things that Pres. Hinkley accomplished as a Prophet.
I believe that if I want the toiling and the contrary winds to cease I need to remember the miracles I saw as I began this calling. I need to look to and rely on my Savior and do his will because he knows each sister and knows their needs. I also need to look to him as a mother and grandmother for the same reason. I know it is easy to feel you can do it as you receive the revelation and feel the spirit. The hard part if following through. I know I need to put more time and effort into prayer and fasting. I need to act more readily on the promptings I receive.
I am so grateful for revelation and that we can feast upon the words of Christ daily.
"Upon this rock I will build my church"------The rock Jesus referred to is revelation.
6 comments:
(forgive me for not signing out and signing back in as your sister)
loved your thoughts Leslie. I feel like I'm toiling all the time--only I realize that the only way to get through things is just keep focused on the Savior and eventually you come through. Sometimes it takes many, many years! But you know he's always there. Yesterday in conference one of the speakers quoted that saying, "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it." It dawned on me that he never said that. He only said, "If ye love me keep my commandments." You are right, the only way to get through the cross winds and the trials is to keep your eye on the Savior. The only way to serve is to keep your eye on the Savior. Another thing that struck me in my reading this week is that Elder Uchtdorf said in times of turbulence the tendency is to speed through it, but to slow down and find direction is actually the better choice. That same speaker in conference related that she was a runner and as a runner she realizes that it would be impossible to hang on to the iron rod if you were running. The scriptures say to hold on, pressing forward. That suggests a slower more determined pace. A pace that allows us to keep focused--on the tree of life or the Savior. He is our focus in all things.
You are so insightful and always making me think. I thought of you again during the week. Something I was reading or watching was about the construction of ancient ships that actually sounded and looked like what the Jaredites may have built. But it escapes me at the moment where I read it.
And I'm currently reading Pres. Monson's biography. I shed many tears while I read the chapters about his service in Germany. He is such a man of faith--I just never realized all that he has done.
sorry . . . one other thing I wanted to discuss with you. Did you read last months's "Call to Action" on the Visiting Teaching Web Page? It was very interesting.
Call to Action, February 2011
Sister Julie B. Beck taught: “We know through the Prophet Joseph Smith that Relief Society was a formal part of the Restoration and that a similar organization for women existed in the Church anciently. . . . We have a vital role to play in helping build the kingdom of God and preparing for the Lord’s coming. In fact, the Lord cannot accomplish His work without the help of His daughters. Because of that, the Lord expects us to increase our offering. He expects us to fulfill the purpose of Relief Society as never before” (“Fulfilling the Purpose of Relief Society,” Liahona, Nov. 2008, 108, 111).
It sounds to me like Sister Beck is telling us that the Relief Society was necessary to complete the restoration of all things because it existed in the Church at the time of Christ. I never knew this before and it makes me feel so loved by the Savior.
Thanks Leslie. I needed this.
Thanks for your comments Kelley. Just what I needed hear too. I did see the call to action and loved it. After working in the Stake YW and planning Trek with the YM I learned a whole new side of the administration of the church. It was amazing how we worked together with the priesthood and how none of it could of been complete without the prieshood and the YW. I believe it is that way also with the RS.
I loved your info about the quote. it has never set well with me for some reason.
I would like to read Pres. Monsons' book. But the way I really enjoyed the book you gave me by Chiecko. Thanks for it.
I hope you are feeling better Heather. Thanks for your comment.
Leslie I always look forward to your posts. I so admire your faith in Christ. I hope things start to calm down for you. Thanks for all you do.
Thank you Leslie for this beautiful post. It seems that I have struggled all my life against Contrary winds. It is time that I centered my live on the Savior. I have plenty of time to do it. I just don't know if he can ever forgive me for failing so much. For not centering my life on him. I am trying to help my kids find the Savior. It is a little late in coming. I should have taught them better when they were little. But I was weak and so far away from the straight and narrow path that leads to the kingdom of God. Now all I can do is pray that everything will turn out alright for all of us. I love my kids and grandkids so much. I wouldn't like to be without one of them. I thank my Heavenly Father every day for them. Again , Thank You for your insight. I love you too. You are a special sister to me.
Post a Comment