Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Sacred Grove


I have been reading other peoples blogs and trying to think of something I can post about. It seems life has gotten really busy for me and I don't have time to ponder or think about posts. I miss it though and wish the thoughts were there. So while I was sitting here pondering the weather outside and the time of year stirred some feelings in me that I decided I would write about while I had them on my mind.


My father died going on 6 years. It was not expected and quite a shock. The pain you experience from the death of a loved one hurts your (heart) more than I ever thought possible. the days before dad died it seems that everyone got a visit from him. He called me a few weeks before he passed away( He never called me on the phone.) It was short and to the point. He just wanted to apologize and make sure he hadn't hurt my ex-sister in laws feelings. He had assumed she was still married to my Brother in law because she had gone to a gift show with me. It was nothing personal between the two of us for some reason he was feeling bad and hoping he hadn't offended someone. I have always felt bad that I wasn't able to be at the hospital with the family after his passing and that I had some how missed out on being a part of that sacred experience. So at times my heart still aches that I somehow missed out on a wonderful connection and experience with my dad and family.


Kassie had bought plane tickets for Hannah and I to visit her in April of that year. Of course Dad passed away March 17. I was struggling with going because I so badly wanted to be around with my brothers, sisters and mother. It was so hard to go at that time. Although it was very painful for me to go at that particular time I look back on my visit with Kassie and her family as a wonderful , learning, growing, sacred time. Kassie lived in Cleavland Ohio at the time. She was 20 minutes from Kirtland and about 2-3 hrs form Palmyra. So we decided we would be brave and take a trip to Palmyra. I am still so proud that we had the courage to do it. Thanks to our good friend Shawn the GPS guy we had no troubles at all finding our way.


It was such a wonderful trip. I can't put into words the feelings I feel of that day we spent in Palmyra. We first went to the Hill Cumorah, were Joseph Smith received the plates from the angel Moroni. We then went to the Grandin Press were the Book of Mormon was first published. That was Kassie's favorite part of the trip. We then went to visit the little farm house where the angel Moroni visited Joseph and taught him. We also visited the larger house the family later moved in to. We then walked down the path to the Sacred Grove. It was early in the year so there were hardly and tourist. The sister missionary at the house told us,"You know the grove probally looked more like it does now than what most pictures show, because it was early spring." There were no leaves on the trees yet and there was still a little winter chill in the air. Nonetheless it was a beautiful place. We took our time and walked the path trying to imagine where it was that our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ visited Joseph. The grove was definitely a very sacred place and the spirit was very strong. No profound spiritual experience happened but I was taught by the spirit as we walked along the path. I had just experienced the most spiritual experience of my life with my dad's passing. I learned and grew in so many ways. My eyes and ears were opened to the spiritual things in life. It is amazing when the Holy Ghost is with you so strong how much more alive your senses are and your vision of life. I didn't need to come to the Sacred Grove to know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet or that our Savior and Heavenly Father really visited Joseph. I knew these things were true. I knew that I could have spiritual experiences in my own home by reading my scriptures daily, attending the temple and by praying. If we keep our lives clean and obey the commandments the Holy Ghost will be with us where ever we are to testify and teach the truth to us.


So this time of the year when the trees are getting ready to bud I start having thoughts of that special day in the Grove with Kassie , Hannah and Ellie and how I was taught softly and quietly. It has truly become a sacred moment for me. It was such a peaceful , humble moment in my life and I am glad I could share that experience with Kassie. So this time of year I start yearning to be with Kassie , Hannah and Ellie in the Sacred Grove. I am sure it is beautiful when the trees have all leafed out but this is the time of year I want to be there. I treasure that that trip with Kassie deep in my heart.


I know Joseph Smith is a prophet, I know the Book of Mormon is true and I believe in our Savior and our Heavenly Father.


5 comments:

Rachel said...

I love to hear your testimony Leslie! Your such an inspiration to me. What a neat experience you had with Kassie and the girls. I would love to go there one day.

kelley said...

that was touching Leslie and it's funny but when I look back at the moment of dad's death you were right there with Bill and I, arms clasped around each other and crying--you were there, weren't you? I heard you, I felt you . . . I'm sure you were there.

I think your spirit fled your body and came . . . for a moment.

carol daniels said...

I can't stop crying. It seems just like yesterday to me. We were all there... one heart and one mind. Dad's passing brought us all together. We all felt the power and comfort of the Holy Ghost in our lives, where ever we were at that time. I am so glad you shared your Sacred Grove experience and testimony of the Savior. It always strengthens my testimony.

Travis, Kassie, Ellie and Haven said...

I am glad you came, our trip is a memory I treasure!!

Jamie said...

Hi Leslie. This is Jamie. I stumbled upon your blog again. It is very beautiful. I hope it's okay that I comment; I just had the feeling that I needed to comment. I want to thank you for this beautiful post, and sharing your testimony. I could feel the spirit strong as I read your words. Thanks so much for your example.

Jamie