I have to give a Relief Society lesson on the Holy Ghost in Feb. How does it help us strengthen our Home and Families?
My Dad seemed to live by following the promptings of the Holy Ghost. His experiences have been big. He saved a kidnapped girl. a man that was painting his septic tank and was passed out because of the fumes. Dad had a feeling he should stop and check on him the man as he drove by his home. If he hadn't stopped the man surely would have died. He always had feelings and promptings of knowing people to visit at the right times. He was a thinker and a ponderer. So when I think of the Holy Ghost I think of him and how well he followed and acted on the promptings.
My experience has been different. I could never tell when I was feeling promptings or impressions. I prayed daily for the Holy Ghost to be with me. It wasn't till dad died that the Holy Ghost was felt so strongly in my life. It was unmistakable. I learned and grew spiritually in ways I never had before. My scripture reading has become so personable that I yearn to spend time reading the scriptures because it feels like a moment I am spending time with my Savior.
Now that I look back I can see that the Holy Ghost has always been guiding and directing me. Through a very difficult time in my life I swear every Ensign article was written just for me . I had feelings to check on my kids, they have been gone playing with a friend to long it is time for them to come home. Read the scriptures, pray more often, be kinder, listen better. Teach your kids to be honest. All those little thoughts and feelings I believe were promptings of the Holy Ghost. Some I acted on and listened to others I didn't. But I am now grateful for those I heeded.
I had an incredible experience reading in 3Nephi when Christ bestowed the Holy Ghost on The Apostles. He had so much joy that they had received it and was using it in their lives. His greatest desire is for us to receive the Holy Ghost. He knows it will sanctify and purify us. Instead of beating myself up when I feel the promptings to be kinder, more honest, more attentive, serve more , pay attention to your kids. I will know they are from the Holy Ghost helping me become a better person.
If any of you would like to share your feelings about the Holy Ghost I would love to hear them.
9 comments:
ThanK you so much for your comment, Carol. It brought tears to my eyes and makes me have so much joy that you recognize those moments and the importance of the Holy Ghost in your life. Read 3 Nephi 18:36-39 and 3Nephi 19. Pray for the spirit as you read it. It was such a spiritual experience for me.
Thanks for telling me about those chapters in 3rd Nephi. Reading them again truly was a spritual experience. I wonder if we will be able to have that same experience when Jesus returns to earth again. I can't even begin to comprehend the joy those Nephites felt when Jesus visitied them on the American continent. I love reading about their faith and that their greatest desire was to receive the Holy Ghost. That should be our greatest desire, too.
I've been thinking about this post for days--I'll email you.
Leslie,
I just thought of something after Kelley made her comment.
Your blog is public isn't it?
Could you please copy my comment to a document on your computer and then delete it off of your blog?
I would probably feel more comfortable if my comments were private, rather than public.
Thanks so much.
I want to go priviate I just need Mallory to show me how. I have tried to figure it out but haven't been able to.
Hi Leslie, I've been thinking about the Holy Ghost and promptings a lot. It seems like I put off doing some things just because I think it's just me thinking to do them and not promptings. I finally decided to ask, "If I do it, will it hurt anything?" If the consequences will be good then why take the chance, by not doing it. It can't hurt, and maybe by doing them I will be following promptings. Many times by doing this I have found that I have been the instrument in answering a prayer or need. And I feel I am getting better at recognizing the spirit.
I think this is such a wonderful post. I admit that I never knew those things about grandpa. But now that I think of it he always did know just when to visit someone. I find it amazing that your Relief Society came up with the same topics for first sunday lessons that ours did. That in and of itself is a testimony of the Holy Ghost for me. Thank you for sharing this.
Di fatto, Dio è da sempre il Consolatore del suo popolo e si definisce chiaramente come Colui che ci consola (Isaia 51,12), come l’Iddio della pazienza, delle misericordie e di ogni consolazione (Romani 15,5 e 2 Corinzi 1,3), cioè come il datore di una consolazione potente (Ebrei 6,18) ed eterna (2 Tessalonicesi 2,16). Egli è colui che consola gli afflitti (2 Corinzi 7,6) e ci consola in ogni nostra tribolazione perché possiamo anche noi consolare quelli che si trovano in qualsiasi genere di afflizione, con la consolazione con cui siamo consolati noi stessi da Dio (2 Corinzi 1,4). La speranza nella futura resurrezione dei morti e nel ritorno del Cristo glorioso dovrebbero essere l'oggetto della consolazione di ogni credente (1 Tessalonicesi 4,18) così che alla consolazione e all'edificazione reciproca siamo tutti chiaramente invitati (1 Tessalonicesi 5,11). Inoltre, tutto ciò che è stato scritto prima di noi, è stato scritto per nostra istruzione, perché in virtù della perseveranza e della consolazione che ci vengono dalle Scritture teniamo viva la nostra speranza (Romani 15,4).
una predicatrice italiana
Post a Comment