Saturday, January 30, 2010

Double Irish Chain

Kellen and Lydia's wedding quilt. Double Irish Chain stitched with lots of love. Three weeks of my life was spent making this quilt. Starting with piecing it together using the strip method of quilting. I went to help Kassie with her kids when Rylee was born.
Since she had to have a C-section she was in the hospital for four days. Hannah played with Ellie and Haven and I worked on the quilt. I bought the fabric at JoAnn's in Michigan. I was able to get it done before Kassie and baby came home.
Hannah's try at quilting. She didn't quite make it through the back of the quilt so I stitched next to her stitches.

Susan Flavel came bright and early on a Monday morning and helped me get the quilt on. Paula Jones, Evelyn Perkins, Laurie Simpson, Patricia Nielson, Mallory Bilbao, Hannah Nielson helped with the quilting. Ruth Nielson can no longer quilt so she brought old fashioned honey candy and sat and visited with us while we quilted. I appreciate all the help and I love being able to spend time with these wonderful ladies. Some of the best quilters in town.



I figure each block took an hour to quilt. There are 56 blocks in the quilt. Evelynn Perkins bound it for me. She is a wonderful lady and she did a beautiful job.



Binding done by my good friend Evelynn Perkins.



10 comments:

Nat said...

Wha a beautiful quilt! I love the colors, the fabric and the pattern.

I love sewing. I started quilting a few years ago. I want to make an awesome quilt like that someday.

Jessie said...

That is awesome!!

I have a new found appreciation for quilters...and for sewing in general!

I hope one day I can make a quilt as gorgeous as this! But until then, I still consider myself a "wanna-be" quilter!

Heidi said...

You make the most beautiful quilts that I have ever seen. I have loved this tradition with the double Irish chain quilt for your kids' wedding gifts. I would love to adopt this tradition.

Travis, Kassie, Ellie and Haven said...

It is beautiful mom!!

carol daniels said...

Oh, so beautiful! I wish I had your talent.

Patty said...

The quilt is beautiful. You have many wonderful talents. I'm sure Kellen and Lydia will love it.

kelley said...

oh, I love the pattern and the colors. nicely done leslie.

Kelsey said...

It's beautiful! WOW that would have taken me a year to finish.

Jamie said...

Beautiful!!

Lacey said...

That is a beautiful quilt!! I love it!!