
I decided to accept Kelley's challenge to journal. I decided I would write it in my journal before hand. As I did this I realized I may have to do a little info everyday for the next week. It turned out to be a lot of info. So first phase will be the basics.
My full name is Leslie Nielson. No middle name. It has made things simple. My mother did want to name me Robin Jean. But I am happy with just plain Leslie. Although when I was little I did want to be named Anne with an e on the end. Don't ask me why. My dad nicknamed me "Bug". He said it was because I would go around singing the Beetles song, "I want to hold your Hand."
Today is April 2, 2009 my date of birth is June 30. I was born in Cedar City Ut after much false labor and a long round about way from Parowan to Cedar City to get to the hospital. Dad decided to go on one of his drives on the way to the hospital. Today I am 47 years old and closing in on 48 really fast.
I am Caucasian and my ancestors came from England , Ireland, Scotland and France. Both on the Bates side and the Bentley.
I am 5'4". I am right -handed , I have blue eyes and my hair has gone a dark brown. I was born with dark hair but was blond till about 1995. After I gave birth to Rye it went dark and curly. I have never worn glasses and always had very good eyesight till recently. I have a hard time reading and at times and things far-away are blurry. I guess I am getting to the point I will have to do something about it. I have one allergy I know about, it is to Ceclor. Had terrible welts and all my joints hurt so bad I couldn't move. It took a while for this to clear up.
I guess today will be about Professions it being the first on Kelley's list that took quite a bit of space.
I don't have a profession to speak of. I have become a professional mother in every respect. At times it was very hard and I didn't think I would survive motherhood or my children would survive me. I am a cook, a maid, a caregiver(changing diapers and wiping faces and noses). A nurturer, a judge, a taxi service, a teacher, a Gardner, a housekeeper, a book keeper, a jailer, a researcher, a tutor, a body guard, a guardian, a nurse, a counselor, a religious leader, an employer, a trainer, a secretary,organizer, planner, decorator, a dictator , a zoo keeper, a party planner, a mechanic, a carpenter. a seamstress. To name a few, I am sure I could add many more to this. At the time I wondered if it would all be worth it. Today the rewards are great and it is my greatest joy in life. I am grateful for the opportunity to be a mother. I love my children very much. I am grateful for each one of them. I appreciate all the experiences they brought into my life ,good and bad, to make me a professional mother. I didn't get paid in money but what I have is worth more than all the gold could buy. I wouldn't trade my training and professional hours put into motherhood for all the gold and silver. What I gained and learned is invaluable.
I have had to help out with the family income off and on. These are jobs worked at through my life that brought in actual money.
My first place, at age 14, was the Italian Place in Price, UT. I quite enjoyed this job as a teenager. I made sandwiches (the famous steak and everything) and pizza. The owners(Bawdens) were very good to me.
At age 17 I worked for a short time at the Niche Restaurant(messed up place with messed up people, strange religion, called the Fourth Way, they believed they were aliens who accidentally fell on our planet). I was only there for about four months.
Age 18 worked at Price Trading Co. as a secretary . This was a furniture store, I really enjoyed it. I had a hard time controlling myself not to always rearrange the furniture.
After I got married I did little odd jobs off and on. Things that would allow me to stay home and raise my children.
I taught gymnastics--crossing guard---census enumerator--sub at schools---babysitter--teachers aid for 1 year.
I have worked at a Family owned Business called San Juan Pharmacy for the last 26 years. I order gifts and do store displays. The last year I have started clerking one day a week. I have really enjoyed this job. I think it is probably more of a hobby. I get to spend someone else money on things I like. Then I display the merchandise so it is catchy and pleasing to others. I get to decorate about six christmas Trees a year(I wish I had taken pictures of all the trees I have decorated). It has allowed me to travel----NY three times, LA, Denver, Phoenix to gift shows. It is a dream job and helped me to be able to be a stay at home mom. I do all my ordering from home and Lyle was always with the kids when I needed to put out orders.
I just have to end today's challenge with this thought. At this point in my life ,four of my kids have left home. I still have two at home and they are now in school all day. I am so grateful at this point I am not saddled with a career. I feel like I have so much freedom of choice right now. I can choose to stay at home. Work once in a while. Go back to College. Travel. Help my kids if they need it. Take classes to learn new talents. Help others. Enjoy my grandkids. I don't think having a career is bad, In fact I think it is wonderful and admire people that achieve the schooling to have a career. I just think for me I made the best possible choices for our family. The joy I feel for the choice I made to stay home with my kids is amazing and the reward at this time in my life are so fulfilling. It is a good stage of life. I love being at home when the kids call for advice, a recipe, comfort, or to share a joy. This is my experience. We all have different situations in our lives and have to deal with them in the best possible way for our own families. President Kimball said, "there are many different ways a mother defends the home. Whether she stays at home, is a judge, a nurse, a teacher,etc. Al l these things are important to the welfare of the family." I know I am grateful for good teachers who helped mother my children.
7 comments:
well done--I especially love your job description for mother. I'll put my post up in the morning. I think this is going to be a lot of fun
The role of motherhood is what it's all about! It requires us to work and be available 24 hours a day, with all it's joys and trials. I enjoyed reading about your feelings on being a mother and all the responsibilities that come with it. It will be fun to share in each other's personal history. I'll post my introduction tomorrow morning.
Just as a note---scince I am not private I am not including some personal information. So if some things seem a little left undone that is the reason.
I feel like I know you a little better than I did before reading this. I really enjoyed your comments on motherhood and I share a lot of your same feelings about being at home and availble for my children at all hours of the day. Thank you for lending your support to me in so many things, you have helped me a lot with your advice and stories through the years.
Leslie,
Sorry I didn't know where else to post this, hope it's ok. It's all sugar, not just the obvious ones though. I am still struggling with my diet, I have to reduce the sugar in my diet all the time. I think I get it figured out and I start getting sick again and have to find things with less sugar. I have found that if I watch labels I can handle between 9-12 sugars in a single sitting. This is half of what a diabetic is allowed per meal, and is less than a teaspoon. My suggestion is to start with a good diabetic cookbook. For me, most of them still use too much sugar for me, just start documenting what you eat and the sugar and carb content and see where you are. If you want more info give me your email and I'll send you some more stuff!
Leslie, I enjoyed your comments on being a Mother. They were inspiring. You are a very good Mother and have great children. I enjoy them so much. Thanks for being a great Mother to my grandchildren. You have been a good example. I can relate to all your jobs. I've been reading some of my journals and it wears me out reading them. I did so many things in a day and now I'm lucky if I can accomplish one thing. So be grateful and enjoy it. The time goes like wildfire and you wonder where it went. You are in a wonderful time of life and you are such a good woman. I am so proud of you and love you so much. I appreciate how good and thoughtful you are to me. Love Mom
Mom, the best career in the world. I admire anyone who can be a mom and a career woman. I don't know how they do it. I can barely keep up with the simple things a mom does everyday!
Post a Comment