The first Reunion I remember was when I was about 5 years old. We met at Lagoon. We spent the day riding the rides. We met at lunch time and had a pot luck dinner. There seemed to be a lot of people attending. I remember dad in charge of the meeting and assigning the person to do it the next year.
The years that followed, the Reunion turned in to 3 days of camping. Mud springs and Huntington canyon were the most common spots.
The invitation that was sent out by Fred Richardson indicated that we should all try to attend because a lot of them were getting older and the next reunions just might be funerals. I had a great desire to go. For some reason this year I needed the companionship of cousins that I have looked up to and dearly loved through the years.
Kelley , Hannah and I went to this years Reunion held at Springlen Park. I took my camera but consciously didn't take any pictures. I looked around and noticed how much we have all aged. I decided I wanted to have the memories of my younger years and younger days of the Richardson Reunion's.
The hour spent was precious to me. Tommy didn't fail. He brought his colorful way of talking and his humor that brings delight. Lois asked him, "Have you finished everything you would like to do before we pass on." Tommy said, "As long as I am with Diane(his wife), I will never be finished. She keeps giving me things to do.) Then he went into a lengthy story of cats, poop, putting skirting around the deck and now having to take care of the wasps that found it to be a good home.
As always Pete and Jeans family never fail to support the Richardson Ruin with a good turn out. Pete, Jean, Peter(wife and son), Susan and grand kids, Shari(Husband) Attended.
Shirley also was there with her spark and spunk.
Lois and Donnie represented Uncle Frank's family.
Aunt Alma, Uncle Rudy, Kelley, Hannah and I represented Ida.
Check's family consisted of Teddy, Merla, Scott, Stacy and some of their children, Bobby's son was there, and of course Tommy and Diane.
Not a big attendance but it was so good to renew relationships and share memories.
I loved hikes with Uncle Gordon. His love and patience for us children was wonderful. How I love and miss that man. I miss the late night and early morning holler between brothers. I miss the love of Uncle Frank and Aunt Harriet. The feistiness of Aunt Ruth. I miss Ida's laugh of joy while visiting with brother's and sister's.
I miss the late night campfires and the badgering between cousins. Katherine Tommy, Dad, Lois, and Aunt Alma. I loved those days spent at the Reunion. They were the best. I love my cousins and I am grateful for the longevity of Grandma Richardson and Great Aunts and Uncles that made it possible for the following generations to get to know and love them. I love them all so much.
I love the kindness and concern of Jean and Pete. I love Peter's laugh. I love Marilynn Paskets smile eyes and her kind heart. I could go on and on about each person in our Richardson clan. Thanks so much for all the good memories.
On the way home last night I think I shed tears for and hour while I remembered and reminisced in my mind of all the joyful moments that I have shared a the reunions. I hope they aren't done, but we all seem to be so involved in our own busy lives and the generations that bound us so tightly together are departing from us. So yesterday was a treasure to me. Thank you Teddy and Merla.
.jpg)




.jpg)

.jpg)



.jpg)

2 comments:
Thanks for taking me with you, I really enjoyed the day. Those were good times at the Richardson Ruin. I love the pictures you posted.
I am glad you made it to the Richardson Ruin! Reading your post took me back to all those rambunctious years of hiking, hollering, story telling, water fighting, campfires, and relentless teasing. The Richardson's have good blood! I am also very thankful to be part of such a wonderful, close knit clan.
Leslie, you described our elders so perfectly. It was so easy to see in my mind's eye grandma's laugh, Aunt Ruth's fiesty bark, and the hollering between brothers. I also remember well grandma's whistle. Uncle Gordon was another whistler. I really miss that old guy as well. Actually, he will always be young in my heart.
I liked that you didn't take pictures and that you just enjoyed the day. The pictures of days gone by are perfect. I am so glad I got to read this post. Keep writing! They always bring me alot of comfort and perspective.
Have a great day!
Post a Comment