Friday, November 25, 2011

Sept. 29, 2009

I am missing mom so much today.  I thought I would read a little in her journals.  I found this and thought her sons might enjoy it.

"I have often wondered about my patriarchal Blessing where I am told I am of the lineage of Joseph.  Carol gave me a small book , "The Power of Your Patriarchal Blessing".  I need to pray about it and ponder.   The way I understand  it Joseph received a double portion .   A greater inheritance then his brothers.  For right now I feel my double portion is my two sons,  James William"Bill" and Steven Bentley.  I am so grateful for them.  They are so faithful and strong in the gospel and always have been."


Also Music that touched my soul at Derek's Blessing.  I couldn't contain the tears.  Especially the 3rd verse.


Guide Me to Thee

Jesus my Savior true, guide me toThee
Help me they will to do , Guide me to Thee
Even in the darkest night, as in the morning bright
Be thou my beacon light, Guide me to thee.

Through this dark world strife. Guide me to thee
Teach  me a better life, Guide me to thee.
Let they redeeming power, Be with me every hour
Be thou my safety tower, Guide me to Thee.

When strife and sin arise, Guide me to thee.
 When tears be-dimming my eyes, Guide me to Thee.
when hopes are crushed and dead, when earthly joys are fled.
Thy glory round me shed, Guide thee to me.

When silent death draws near, Guide thee to me.
Calm thou my trembling fears, Guide thee to me.
Let me they mercy prove, Let they enduring love guide me to Heaven above. Guide me to Thee.



















"

3 comments:

kelley said...

that's nice Leslie--She did find strength in her sons. I cried myself to sleep last night I missed mom and my family so much.

carol daniels said...

Mom had a wonderful way of expressing her testimony and faith through her words. She does have good sons and loved them very much.

Thanksgiving day was very hard for me, as well. Is this when you posted? I cried many tears as I was preparing dinner. I was glad to have my daughters that day.

Mom has always made the turkey gravy. I couldn't do it. Shaniel has never made the gravy from scratch, but rolled up her sleeves and did it. I was missing mom so much. Audrey used her left over pie dough and made "sugar pie" in mom's pie tin. I filled mom's cookie jar to the brim with cookies, and was so delighted when the grandkids discovered it. It was fun to see them get upon the stool and reach for "grandma's cookies." I felt mom all around me, or I tried to surround myself with memories of mom on Thanksgiving. I was wishing her here with us. Somehow, I was hopeful that she stopped by for a visit.

Audrey said when they were getting in the car to come to dinner, Alia said, "we are going to grandma Bates!" When she walked into my office and saw Raggedy Ann and Andy sitting in the red rocking chair, she exclaimed "that's grandma Bates!" I am so amazed that this 3 year old little girl recognizes mom so much. Mom is all around us. I am so comforted by it. On the other hand, mom's departure catches me off guard, and I also find myself crying myself to sleep, too.

I'll be happy to see my brothers and sisters in a couple of weeks.

David Edward said...

what a beautiful post, and a lovely blog. My mom passed to the presence of the Lord in late dec 2010, at 91 years old. she had a blessed life and I was blessed to be with her so long. Shalom