
A few weeks ago I attended the Utah Fall Substance abuse conference. At this conference we were taught how certain industries, such as alcohol , tabacco, pornography and drug, target our children. The tabacco industry knew that one day society would demand a smoke free environment. So they planned ahead. They have products that have nicotine in them that look like tic tac's , listerine breath strips. They have cigarettes that are now flavored in Cotton Candy, grape, caramel and so on. The packaging on these look a lot like the packaging on kids favorite candy. These industries have so much money. The pornography industry makes more money than all three of the sports and Brittney Spears put together. They are doing a big push to target women at this point. How can our kids fight and stay away from these things? There is a literal war between good and evil going on daily in their lives.
On my way home from the conference I stopped at Cove Fort. It felt so good and the spirit was so strong. It felt peaceful and safe. In the video presentation it told about the family who lived at Cove Fort. Because it was a stopping place for stage coaches or others traveling the mother worried about the type of people her kids would be associating with. The people who were traveling would eat dinner with the family. One of the sons said ,"My mother made our home a sacred and safe place."
How do we make our homes a sacred and safe place? I just read a talk by Elder Bednar. He promises us that if we read the BOM, talk about and testify with our children that we will become watchman on the tower and will be able to see afar off those things that will harm our children and we will be made more aware of the areas they are struggling in. I love the Book of Mormon and I know it is the words of Christ and they will direct us for good in our lives. I need to be more diligent in teaching my kids and making my home a safe and sacred place.

I grew up in a 'safe and sacred' home. My parents loved us and taught us the gospel. After dinner many nights we would spend time discussing spiritual things. I am grateful they never hesitated or were to busy to testify of the things of God. We spent a lot of time out in nature. Dad constantly pointed out to us all the beautiful things and how miraculous they were. He helped me develop a deep gratitude for God and a gratitude for the things he created for us to use while we are here on this earth. It is when we are full of gratitude that the spirit can be near us and testify to us the things of God.
At this time of the year I would like to express my gratitude for the beauty of this earth, for the blessings of the harvest, for eternal families, and for my Savior. Also for good parents who made all the efforts to make our home a safe and sacred place.
5 comments:
very nice Leslie, Our homes do need to be safe and sacred. Not just for our children, but for our grandchildren too.
what a great message
With the new and cunning ways to incorporate old evils into the lives of our children and grandchildren, I too believe that it is imperative that we read the Book of Mormon diligently and be the watchman on the tower.
It is our greatest desire to keep our family safe from harm, in all its forms. We find safety in daily scripture study, prayer, following the voice of the prophet, and exercising faith.
I, too, am grateful to parents who kept us safe from the evils of the world. I always felt loved and protected. We can do the same for our children and grandchildren, no matter what their age. We all need to feel that protection.
Leslie, Kellen called and asked if I had any more peaches. By the time he called, I didn't have any left. I haven't taken the time to call him back. Will you please let him know.
Also, when are you going to Price again? I would like to get some calendars for next year. Maybe I can get a start on the year earlier and get some real nice Ned Young (other than still life), some barn yard scenes, and any others you think fits my liking. Let me know.
How is your new R.S. calling going?
Thanks for sharing that great message!
Such a great message. Our lesson in RS on sunday was about addictions and pornography. It is such a strong evil force in this world. It is around in every form possible. It's hard to keep your kids from seeing images on magazines waiting in the grocery store line! Thumbing through the tv you see and hear inappropriate things all the time. we have to stay stong against this big problem. One lady in my ward said that one statistic shows that 9 out of 10 boys will be exposed to pornography between the ages of 8-11. And can be come addicted. Such a scary scary thing. The lord is on our side and we need to stay close to him.
Leslie thank you for your kind and sweet message. You are definitely on the right path with your family. They are so good and precious to me. I love each and everyone of them. You and Lyle are such good parents and a good example. That means a lot, Just keep doing as you are, Cove fort is such a Spiritual place. It has a special meaning to me and should be to all of us. Do you know the family you spoke of that lived there was President Hinkleys grand parents. His father one of the children and my Aunt Josephine's father was also. She married my Uncle L'Roy Bentley. If you looked on the plaque you may have noticed Richard Bentley's name as a contributor. He is my cousin.So we have a connection with it's history. Josephine was a granddaughter of Ira Hinkley who built Cove Fort. You should read the history sometime about that family's struggle in that desolate place as they struggled to build it with only the resources he could find around it and of their life at Cove Fort. It is pretty interesting. Love You mom. Sorry I missed Madison's blessing. Tell Kellen and Lydia.
Post a Comment