Friday, July 3, 2009

LET FREEDOM RING!

WE HAVE BEEN HAVING THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SUNSETS EVER. THIS ONE WAS SO BEAUTIFUL AND VIBRANT IT TOOK YOUR BREATH AWAY.

EVER SINCE I MOVED TO BLANDING I THINK THAT THE FOURTH OF JULY COULD POSSIBLY BE MY MOST FAVORITE HOLIDAY. TO BE IN BLANDING AROUND THE FOURTH IS A WONDERFUL THING. STARTING AROUND THE 1ST OF JULY , DRIVING AROUND TOWN YOU SEE MANY CARS AT ONE HOUSEHOLD. IT SEEMS TO BE THE MOST FAVORITE TIME FOR FAMILY REUNIONS HERE. IT IS A TIME TO SEE PEOPLE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN FOR ALONG TIME. IT TRULY IS A TIME FOR FAMILY TOGETHERNESS'S.
A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE FOURTH , RIGHT AROUND DUSK YOU START TO HEAR THE POP AND CRACKLE OF FIREWORKS. PEOPLE OUT LATER THAN USUAL TAKING WALKS, LAUGHING AND ENJOYING EACH OTHER. FRIENDSHIPS ARE RENEWED AND MANY CLASS REUNIONS ARE HELD. THERE SEEMS TO BE EXCITEMENT AND HAPPINESS ALL AROUND.


THE DAY BEFORE THE FOURTH STARTS OFF WITH BALLGAMES FOR THE YOUNGER KIDS CALLED MINI MIDNIGHT MADNESS. RYE PLAYED WITH A TEAM CALLED THE COTTON WOOD HILLBILLIES. I THINK THEY LASTED TWO GAMES. THE OLDER BOYS USUALLY PLAY IN THE MIDNIGHT MADNESS TOURNAMENT THAT STARTS ABOUT 7:00 P.M. THE GAMES GO ALL NIGHT LONG. IT IS AMAZING HOW MANY PEOPLE STAY UP ALL NIGHT WATCHING THESE GAMES. IT IS A FUN AND EXCITING TIME. JENS, KELLEN , PATRICIA , BRIAN AND MALLORY HAVE PARTICIPATED IN THEM AND SOME YEARS HAVE FINISHED UP AT 5:00 AM. AND 8:OO A.M. THE WHOLE ATMOSPHERE OF THE NIGHT IS PLEASANT AND WATCHING THE KIDS PLAY BALL IS A FUN THING FOR ME. WE USUALLY GO HOME ABOUT 2:00 A.M. BUT I ENJOY THE SOUNDS OF THE BALL PARK FROM MY HOME. I LISTEN FOR THE KIDS TO COME IN AND OUT AND GET UP AND ASK HOW THEIR TEAM IS DOING. THE SOUNDS OF THE NIGHT ARE PLEASANT TO HEAR, THE POP OF FIREWORKS, LAUGHTER , MUSIC, CHEERS AT THE BALL GAMES.




THE MORNING OF THE FOURTH LITERALLY STARTS OFF WITH A BANG. THE HURST FAMILY HAS A CANNON THEY FIRE OFF AT 6:OO A.M. WAKING UP THE SLEEPING TOWN. A PRAYER SERVICE AND BREAKFAST IS HELD AT THE PARK. AT 10:00 A.M. IS THE PARADE WHICH HAS A FEW TRADITIONAL ENTREES THAT EVERYONE LOOKS FORWARD TO. SOME OF MY FAVORITES ARE THE GADIANTON BAND. THEY ACTUALLY PLAY VERY WELL . THEY RIDE AND OLD TRUCK WITH A SIGN EXPRESSING OUR FEELINGS OF THE FEDS. ANOTHER IS A MAN I JUST LOVE, HIS NAME IS NELDON HOLT. HE USUALLY RIDES ON HIS HORSE. I LOVE SEEING HIM IN THE PARADE. ANOTHER TRADITION IS A TRAIN MADE OUT OF BARRELS AND PULLED BY A TRACTOR. SCOTT HURST WOULD MAKE A NEW BARREL EVERY YEAR AND HIS GRANDKIDS WOULD RIDE IN IT. AFTER THE PARADE IS MANY ACTIVITIES.
RACES AT THE PARK
PATRIOTIC PROGRAM
QUILT SHOW
HORSESHOE CONTEST
VOLLEY BALL
BASKET BALL
AND LOTS OF FOOD BOOTHS
THEN IT ENDS WITH A TERRIFIC SHOW OF FIREWORKS. THE FIRST YEAR I ATTENDED THE 4TH IN BLANDING WE WATCHED THE FIREWORKS AT THE FOOT BALL FIELD. ONE OF THE FIREWORKS EXPLODED LOW OVER THE FOOT BALL FIELD, SCARY BUT EXCITING.
WE USUALLY HAVE A COOKOUT AT OUR HOME, PLAY SOME WATER GAMES AND ENJOY THE DAY. I GUESS WHY I LOVE THE 4TH SO MUCH IS THE TIME THAT FAMILY SPENDS TOGETHER. IT IS RELAXED AN PLEASANT. IT IS EATING BING CHERRIES, SITTING OUT ON THE DECK VISITING, ENJOYING THE COOL SUMMER NIGHT AFTER A BUSY DAY. SEEING FRIENDS YOU HAVEN'T SEEN FOR ALONG TIME. I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT INDEPENDENCE DAY!



4 comments:

janelle said...

The 4th of July is my favorite holiday too. Blanding is very patriotic! Growing up all that was saved for the 24th in Wellington, but being out of Utah has really helped me appreciate the 4th on a new level. I hope your holiday is perfect!

kelley said...

Happy 4th of July--Everytime I see a flag I think of how much you love it.

Ours was great--as Kira said it, "Grandma, that was the best campout ever"

cad said...

I love the 4th of July, too. And the summer Audrey spent with you was one of the best 4th of July's I have ever had. I loved the festivities of the day, and it was fun to see Audrey life- guarding with Mallory.

I love to display the flag every chance I get and hear the laughter of people as they set off and watch fireworks into the wee hours of the morning.

The 4th of July is a very happy time and a time to think about the freedoms we enjoy. I think about Gideon Bentley and all those Revolutionary war hero's and the sacrifices they made to make this country such a great place to live. I love to sing patriotic songs. It makes my heart beat a little faster. Our nation's birthday is a time of gratitude, and I certainly do feel grateful.

It was nice to hear about your celebration and re-live it again. Blanding is a great place to live!

Ellen said...

One of the best 4th of July's (is that correct?) I've ever spent was last year at Blanding with you. They really know how to celebrate. This year was pretty lonely. I spent the day watching the Revolutionary War on the History channel. I really enjoyed it. It helped me to realize what our ancestors had to go through for our freedoms. I, too am grateful to Gideon Bentley, who served with the Rhode Island Raiders. I think all of us should take time to study it. I love seeing the Flag
wave. It makes me feel so grateful for this great land , this Promised Land, and all the Freedoms we enjoy. Especially now when we live with such a threat of losing them. "LET US ALL BE GRATEFUL FOR A LAND SO FAIR, AS WE LIFT OUR
VOICES IN A SOLEM PRAYER. GOD BLESS AMERICA" Love Ya
Mom