Monday, December 29, 2008

WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS CHAOS

Ellie outside by bush with snow and lights.

Making sugar cookies . YUM!




On December 23rd my sweet neighbor lady who is over 80, invited our family to come to a caroling and hay ride party that her family does every year. The only ones who wanted to go were Ellie and Hannah. I thought it would be fun for them to experience a hay ride. I loved them as a child. We bundled up in our warm clothes and went off to the neighbors house. It was very icy and cold but despite that Ellie and Hannah seemed to enjoy it. Ellie loved the freedom of not being buckled in a car seat and wanted to keep looking over the side. Hannah loved singing with a group of people who all have very beautiful voices. We were all a little timid about being there and at times felt like we were infringing on a wonderful family tradition. After we went back to the Andrea and Josh Nielson home for chili, hot chocolate and home made cinnamon roles. This is where the wonderful chaos began. When you entered the house everyone had kicked off shoes, shed there snow clothes, including hats, gloves, scarves and snow gear. All of it deposited right there in the doorway. In a room around the corner someone was playing Christmas carols on the piano , with some college age kids singing along, some of them dancing and swinging the small children around. The kitchen was in a flurry of food being prepared and made ready. One small child was sprayed with whip cream all over her face and hair when an Aunt pulled the turning beaters out of the bowl before shutting them off. Anger or hurt did not ensue but laughter and love. Downstairs children ran in a wild game of tag. Some cried from injuries but were soon back at play. It was an interesting experience to sit back as a guest and watch it all unfold. Although it may of looked and sounded like a lot of chaos it was wonderful and sweet. It was humble, spiritual, joyful, and amid the chaos ,peaceful. It gave me a different perspective of the times we get together as families. Sometimes it seems so chaotic you don't know what happened. But I now know amid the chaos there is love , peace, joy and happiness , a lot of good is going on and families ties are being bond and made stronger. So this year I found the chaos wonderful and sweet and I hope you did too. I am grateful for all the outings and get together we have had together. I know they have brought me a lot of joy. Thanks to the Nielson family for letting us come and participate,being an outsider let me see a different perspective of things and helped
me experience greater joy.

THIS IS SOME OF OUR CHAOS


Building a snow fort in the backyard. It kept Brian and Rye busy.


ELLIE MADE A BEAUTIFUL PURPLE SNOWFLAKE OUT OF PAPER AND GLITTER.

BRODY LOVES BALLOONS. THEY WENT TO THE HIGH SCHOOL CHRISTMAS PLAY. AFTER SANTA WAS THERE TO SEE. BRODY TOLD SANTA HE WANTED BALLOONS FOR CHRISTMAS. SANTA GAVE BRODY A BAG OF POPCORN AND CANDY. HE OPENED IT AND WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED AND SAID, "NO BALLOONS". CHRISTMAS MORNING HE AWOKE TO A BOUQUET OF HELIUM BALLOONS AND WAS SO EXCITED.


HAVEN AND HER SPAGHETTI FACE. HAVEN ALSO HAS GLITTER ON HER NOSE AFTER MAKING SNOWFLAKES.
CHRISTMAS DRESSES AND COATS FOR SUNDAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS.


WONDERFUL SNOWFALL MADE THE LIGHTS AND BUSHES PRETTY.


BRODY GOT HIS FINGER SMASHED IN THE DOOR. HE HAD TO HAVE FOUR STITCHES. IT ALSO WAS FRACTURED. OUCH!
FAMILY HOME EVENING CHRISTMAS EVE. We talked about the first Christmas. I then read some of the quotes in Pres. Uctdorf talk in the Nov. conference issue on hope. I gave the kids a ornament that says BELIEVE and asked them to associate it with the scripture , "Believe in Christ,........." Then we opened Grandma Bates presents which has been a tradition since we started our family. The Jack in the box was a hit along with the other gifts.

CHRISTMAS MORNING 2008. UNDER OUR TREE WAS MANY FUN SURPRISES.


WAITING ON THE STAIRS FOR EVERYONE TO SEE WHAT SANTA BROUGHT.

ELLIE ON CHRISTMAS MORNING.

BAYLOR . UN DECORATING THE CHRISTMAS TREE.



HAVEN AND BRODY JOINING IN ON THE FUN.

FAMILY PICTURES. HANNAH'S WISH OF A FAMILY PICTURE OF OUR FAMILY WHO LIVES IN OUR HOME NOW.








THE HOUSE WAS NEVER CLEAN. THE DISHES NEVER DONE. MESSES EVERYWHERE BUT IT WAS A WONDERFUL CHAOTIC CHRISTMAS WITH MUCH JOY AND HAPPINESS AMID THE FRUSTRATIONS, HURTS, AND BEING TIRED. THANKS EVERYONE FOR COMING. WE LOVE YOU!


One of my most favorite Christmas articles is called "Three Levels of Christmas". The first level is the Santa Clause level. We all know what level this is. "WE spend to much and do to much, but we enjoy every minute of it."


The second level is called the Silent Night level. This level is all about the birth of our dear Savior. "How beautiful and meaningful it is, how infinitely poorer we would be without this sacred level of Christmas."

The first level is very intense and too extravagant. The toys break, the feast is over. Mother puts away the decorations and says thank goodness that is over.


The second level, the level of the baby Jesus, can't last. The man who Keeps Christ in the manger will, in the end, be disappointed and empty.


For Christmas to last all year long, we need to celebrate it at the third level, that of the adult Christ. It is at this level--not as an infant--that our Savior brings His gifts of lasting joy, lasting peace, lasting hope. It is this Christ who reached out and touched the untouchable, who loved the unlovable, who so loved us all that even in His agony on the cross he prayed for forgiveness for his enemies. Who willingly gave his life for all of us.


I love the part that says, "When we keep Christ in the manger, in the end we will be disappointed and empty." I am so grateful for our Savior , that he came to this earth and lived and died for us, I am so grateful we can , daily, repent of our sins. My prayer and hope is that we will daily focus on the Christ and his purpose and mission in each of our lives.

13 comments:

kelley said...

Everything sounds wonderful. I loved how you wrote about it all. Joyous Chaos--I have that everyday at my house and count it a blessing. We had a fun Christmas as well. I'm pretty busy right now but as soon as school starts and I'm tending again I'll do some posting. I hope you all have a wonderful new years as well.

cad said...

I loved your posting Leslie. I think "joyous" Chaos comes with age and looking at in another perspective. That was a wonderful opportunity for you to see that from an outsiders view. It made me stop and think about that, too. I am also thankful for all the joyous Chaos I have in my life. Family really is everything. Thanks for sharing the story of the 3 levels of Christmas. It was so fitting the end the season and start the new year. Happy New Year Nielson family!

cad said...

Leslie, I noticed I am not on your blog list. Do I need to send you an invite? Carol

Rachel said...

I loved your post! How neat for all of you to be together as a family for Christmas! You have a cute family! It looks like you had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing the three levels of Christmas.

cad said...

Leslie, I have been looking at blogs this morning, and I noticed that Mallory has went private. I have enjoyed viewing your kid's blog in the past. It is such a good way to keep up with their lives. If she wants to continue to let me be a part of it, please ask her to invite me to her blog. My email address is carold@preciscom.net Thanks!

kelley said...

January 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Hannah!

Nat said...

Looks like tons of fun! You're starting to get quite the collection of grandkids!

Nat said...

Oh yeah...

Happy Birthday Hannah!

kelley said...

Good Luck giving up the "Dew". I'll be rooting for you. As for me the doctor tells me I need to give up the sugar--maybe you should pray for me! I'm so addicted I'll need divine intervention.

Nat said...

Sorry, I couldn't find your email address. Clint bought me the whole Willow Tree Nativity set, but I have a friend who wants one. What is the good deal you can get on it? What is your 'in'?

janelle said...

I really enjoyed the pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Also, thanks for the comment you left on my food blog. You're so sweet!

KT said...

I can't get into Mallory's blog either so if she has a minute have her add me too. gkthayn@preciscom.net

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. You're family is sure growing--isn't it wonderful! You're a great grandma!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you guys had a great Christmas. Did Kassie cut her hair off??