Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day

I just wanted to post a Thank You for all those that have and are serving in the armed services. We watched "Saving Private Ryan" Sunday night. I had never seen it because of its rating but because it was being shown on TV it was cleaned up. I lost it the first scene as he walked down the path in the cemetary at Normandy. I have had the opportunity to be at that cemetary several times. It is a very sacred experience. The feeling is unbelieveable and the amount of young lives lost on D-Day is staggering. Their are rows and rows of crosses and the star of David. Men from all over the nation. It is amazing to visit the beaches they landed on . They are so peaceful. It is hard to imagine the terror and caous that occured when they landed. The museums are amazing . We had several older French men stop us and tell us with tears in thier eyes, of the gratitude they had for these young men who gave their lives to liberate them. They also had many groups of school children at the museums so they could remember the liberation. I felt ashamed that in our Country most of our children don't even know what D-Day is. But I have deep gratituce and reverance for those who so faithfully serve our country especially in war time and those who gave all.

8 comments:

cad said...

I know the feeling of overwhelming reverence for those who have fought for our freedoms. You get the same feeling at Arlington National Cemetery. It's unbelievable! I wanted to stay there all day just to have that feeling with me. It is a very sacred feeling. In stark contrast is the Dachau Concentration Camp in Southern Germany. That was mine and Dave's first stop on our trip to Europe. It was overwhelmingly dark and evil. You felt a sense of dispair eventhough the camp was made into a memorial for the victims. I love America! I love what we stand for! I am grateful for our forefathers and for Dad and Dave and all those who have served so valiantly in armed forces to keep us safe. I made a tribute to Dad and Dave on my blog if you want to check it out. Carol

cad said...

Did you need an invite to my blog? It's private. Let me know. Carol

kelley said...

Nice blog. I agree, we aren't appreciative enough. I do however, know what D-day is! So I'm not ingnorant. I appreciate the soldiers as well. It takes a special person to be willing to put their lives on the line. Last night I was watching a news program. The man being interviewed was the head of an organization for families of military personnel. He had served as well as his son. He lost his son in the Iraq war. He was concerned about Obama's stand on the war and hoped it would change as he became updated on the things being accomplished in Iraq. He said that Obama had removed his plans for Iraq from his web page. He didn't know what that meant. I'm going to check it out today.

Another thing I'm checking out--Obama is against coal mining, and yesterday he announced he was going to stop drilling for natural gas on BLM lands. I think Utah is in trouble economically for the next 4 or 8 years.

Rachel said...

I liked reading your post. I am so greatful for everyone who puts thier life on the line for my freedom! It does take a special person to do that. Thanks for reminding me to teach my children about D-Day!

Kelsey said...

D-day and WWII is talked about quite often in our house. Chad is a WWII buff. I too am greatful for the men and women fight for our freedoma nd the freedom of others. I would love to visit the beach of Normandy someday.

kelley said...

since i went with a private blog it won't show my posts on your side bar anymore--so don't forget to check me out once in a while, I'm still posting.

Heidi said...

We as a country really need to be more aware of what happened in our past. It is the only way that our children won't repeat our mistakes.

Ellen said...

I just read your Veterans Day Post. I too feel a reverence and an appreciation for those courageous, God-fearing men who put their lives on the line for their country. Dad was always so proud that he had served his country and I am proud of him. I have been to Arlington and the Changeing of the Guard at the Unknown Soldiers Grave. Quite an awe inspiring moment. I still haven't found Dad's medals. By the way Uncle Tom was at Normandy Beach on D-Day. That is when he had his thumb shot off. So he gave a little piece of him there. I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN1111