Thursday, April 6, 2017

#52 weeks Goals & Achievements

Do you dabble in lots of different hobbies?   If so, what are they?

Blouse that I made in the 1980's
Mom always sewed us Easter outfits
I have always felt I am good at a lot of things but not great at anything.  My hobbies started as a product of a mother who encouraged us to learn new things.  She always had some sort of a craft for us to do.  She also taught us girls to sew on her mother's Treadle Sewing Machine.   I loved sewing.  It has always been a stress release for me.  I loved going to the store, picking the patterns, looking at all the fabrics, touching them, and putting patterns and colors together.  It brought such joy to me.  Then to be able to go through the process of creating a dress, pants or blouse, was very satisfying.  Now I love to create quilts for the same reason.  It brings a lot of joy to put fabrics together and end up with a beautiful quilt.  Quilting by hand is also something I love.   I preach my best sermons when I am sitting at a quilt stitching.   I love how each stitch is important, whether it is perfect, a little big, or not straight, they all combine to keep the quilt together so it can serve it's purpose. 
Double Irish Chain made for Kellen and Lydia's wedding

Horses were a big hobby for me when I was younger.   They brought me a lot of joy and happiness in my life.

When I was in High School I took up skiing. A group of friends would head up to Salt Lake to the Alta Ski resort during the ski season on occasion.  I really liked skiing.  I loved being out in Nature and in the snow.  I never did get very good at it but enjoyed it.   I also took up water skiing at this time.  I loved waterskiing .  I always felt so free to be gliding on top of the water.   I spent a lot of time in the summer with friends doing this activity.  My favorite was a time that I spent a week in Scolfield with Paulie Olsen's family.  We stayed in their cabin.  The week consisted of eating, playing games, swimming in the lake and water skiing.  It is a good memory for me.  I still love being on the water and try to swim every summer.  I love the whole feeling of being at the pool.  I love to swim the laps, I love the music being played over the speaker, I love hearing the children playing in the water.

4th of July parade.  Costume from dance and tumbling class
In high school I also took up gymnastics.   I was very dedicated to learning to use my body in this way.   It brought me a lot of satisfaction and taught me some important life skills.

I have tried my hand a oil painting.  Grandma Bates painted beautifully and I always had a desire to be able to do it.   I took a few classes and did okay with it.   It was just a hard hobby to have with small children.  They also wanted to paint.  One day I would like to get back to trying my hand again with painting.   I think I enjoy watercolor painting more.

I guess the biggest hobby I have, that I spend  a lot of time at, is Family History.   Both of my parents spent a lot of time doing this.   I find it very satisfying when I find new information or new family members of a family.  It feels good to be able to document them and their lives.   I also feel the spirit helping me through the process.  I feel I am getting very good at this hobby.

I also love gardening.   It brings me so much joy to see my yard cleaned and producing the fruit of my labors.   It also reminds me of God's love for us as his children.   He will provide if we put forth the effort.  There is so much satisfaction at harvest time.  I love seeing the bowls full of fresh produce.  I love preserving the fruits of my labors.

I am grateful for parents who encouraged me to grow and find out those things that I could do, and things that would bring a lot of satisfaction and joy to my life.







River trips were always fun

Loved going on trips----Washington

Yellowstone






3 comments:

kayerj said...

I'd say you were great at all your hobbies especially the yard, family history,and you forgot to mention how great you are at decorating and setting up store displays. You are very gifted at being able to interpret the scriptures and following the spirit. You have worked very hard to develop that talent.

carol daniels said...

I agree with Kelley. Your talents are many and I think everything you do turns to beauty. Your house, your yard and garden are all works of art. It's like looking at a painting in real life. You may not know this, but you were one of my earliest inspirations in decorating. I was in awe of your simple, yet pleasing and welcoming atmosphere of your home when I would visit. I am also in awe how you have become so proficient in family history research. I would like to get there, although I often feel overwhelmed just thinking about it. I really enjoyed the day you came up to help me with family history fixings. You made it seem so easy. When I think of you, I think of the parable of the talents. You have been blessed with many talents because you have used your talents to improve yourself and bless others.

Leslie said...

Thank you Kelley and Carol for your kind words.